Saturday, October 14, 2023

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you from northern Iowa where we have lived for 27 years.  We are in the midst of a beautiful Fall season where the colors, smells, and sounds of  Autumn are making us smile!  We got nearly 2 inches of rain this week too!  So needed.  Joel is still doing his morning porch meditation....just listening to nature and having his coffee.  Our home is near the edge of town and with so much green space and its proximity to the river, we see plent of nature...mostly squirrels, birds, a raccoon or two and deer.  Once in awhile a coyote makes itself heard at night.  We are blessed by our surroundings.

Speaking of Joel, after a full weekend, and Monday with me for testing, he took a day to. rest up and then got back in to Wed. nights at the church, a pastor's conference on Thursday, and Gabby Grandpas this morning before attending an ordination this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon he'll go on a church bike ride.  Love how healthy and active he is.  I would love to be half as active as him, and it is still a goal and a prayer.

Speaking of myself, I am grateful to have the CT's and contrasts over and done with AND a very good report.  Nothing found.  It has not solved my lack of energy and other symptoms,  but it has, as best we can, ruled out cancer. I told a family member, "I am STILL here" and since she is soon to be 82 and has her own challenges, we agreed..YES, we are still here and God is still God.  

I look around the area where I spend my waking hours and all the signs of Fall make me smile.  Last Sunday we drove to a small market in town and purchased pumpkins, gourds, and squash.  Mini pumpkiins and gourds are decorating our living spaces, and pumpkins welcome guests onto our porch steps.....so fun.  We did not purchase mums this year as our pansies brought us color until this past week when we had to say good-bye.  We definitely will go to the same small garden center next year and pay too much again because this one pansey plant lasted over 4 months!  

Today is an old friend's birthday.  We met Corrinne when Joel was pastor at her church starting in late 1989.  We have been gone from there over 27 yrs yet she still sends us cards and words of encouragement....keeping us in prayer.   What a blessing!  Happy Birthday Blessings to a special lady!

The past week has been filled with the horrers of war once again.  This time the atrocities have sickened me in my spirit.  I had to quit watching and listening as it was so stressful.....so I cannot imagine living in it.  What do we do?  We pray.  As people of God we KNOW the power of prayer and we pray...we pray for Israel.  We pray for Palestine.  For the innocents. Lord, hear our prayers.  

This takes me back to one of granddaughter's confirmation statement where she spoke about something that happened to her.  She has a severe allergy and was exposed to that food....things started to go "south" and Joel and I prayed for her..  We laid hands on her and prayed as we waited for her medicine to arrive.  She shared this personal story in her statement of faith.  The power and importance of prayer.  I remember on our trip out East in 2013 we ended up in a hotel that smelled strong of chemicals.  My tongue started to swell and I had air hunger.  Joel laid hands on me and we prayed....we prayed and declared the promises of God that had been told to me regarding the trip and my healing from chemical reactions.  Immediately the air fully filled my lungs and my tongue was back to normal.  It never occurred again.  Yes, there is power in prayer.  We don't always have immediate responses to our prayers but we know God hears them.  I am so grateful for those who pray.....family, a sibling texting group, our family texting group, our prayer warrior friends that are one text away.  And it is also such a privilege to pray for others.  Prayer is a powerful gift from God, our first line of defense AND offense.  

A funny story (have I shared it before?).  Joel decided to grow out his beard the past couple of months.  As we were sitting at the table eating nearly 4 weeks into his decision I looked at him and asked, "Are you growing your beard out?"  He laughed.  Yep.....for the past 3 1/2 weeks!  I could blame it on me being a one-eyed wonder now, but chances are I would not have noticed for awhile.....Now if he shaved it all off, that I would have noticed.  When I had only l one eye most people did not notice that either, unless they looked at me for a period of time.  Makes me wonder how tuned in we are to each other!  Haha

Speaking of tuned in, I am thinking you may be ready for me to end these scribbles today so will sign off by sharing some things I am grateful for.  Would love to hear about some of yours too.......Grateful for nothing found on the scans.  Grateful for prayer and the gift it is from a God who hears us!  Grateful for the Fall colors, smells, and sounds.  Grateful for the mini pumpkins and gourds that decorate the house....and the pumpkins on the deck steps.  Grateful for the animals and birds that live around us.  Grateful for a granddaughter's statement of faith regarding prayer.  Grateful for the prayers of family, friends, and acquaintances.  Grateful for all the rain this week.  Grateful for texts, emails, and phone calls.....and so much more.

Enjoy your weekend!


No comments: