Saturday, October 21, 2023

Saturday's Scribbles

Welcome,  as we enjoy another beautiful October Saturday in our corner of the world where Fall is showing off it's peak colors.  Yesterday Joel took me for a drive around town where we were able to enjoy seeing many trees decked out in vibrant red, yellow, and orange colors.  I am able to view one tree from my living room window that is so lovely, especially when the sun reflects off of it's gold and orange leaves. The weather has been great, cooperating with some biking for Joel and porch sitting for the two of us.  

It has been a quiet week in Lake Woebegone, except for the need to replace the upstairs toilet.  When we renovated the upstairs bathrooom last year we did not replace the toilet as Joel liked it and it was working well.....move ahead a year and it stopped working and could not be fixed.  Of course it did.  So Joel drove to Home Depot in MN and picked up a toilet like the one on the main level, then asked a fellow handyman/colleague if he would come help him install it.  Of course it took some effort to get the old one out and new one in, and then  a couple of trips to a hardware store for parts , but after a few hours it was up and running...well running only when we flush it instead of 24/7!  Yay for my handyman and his volunteer helpers!

Thinking about the toilet pulled up in my memories the Thanksgiving the main floor toilet ran over ...and over....and over.  No one noticed until I walked towards the front door in my wool slippers and found myself sloshing through water....toilet water! I tried to lift the bulb inside to stop the water from running but it kept pouring out onto the floor.  I yelled for help but the men were all watching football .....so it took awhile to get their attention.  The ladies came to help, but Joel was upstairs and I finally pounded on that bathroom door telling him what was happening.  As quickly as he could he came running dowstairs.....our son in law tried to turn off the water to that toilet but the valve was rusted open!  Joel went down and turned off the main water valve but not before water was coming through the upstairs vent and down through the furnace vents in the basement!  Water water everywhere.......Joel and the guys got it unplugged and cleaned out the furnace vents, etc.  Our oldest went and got a bucket and mop to wash the main entry floor and bathroom floor but as she was washing she noticed that water was coming out the side of the bucket~  She had not noticed that on the side it said....."BUCKET LEAKS".  She got it outside as she commented..."WHO keeps a leaky bucket? "  Well that would be her dad.  And to this day he still has that bucket!  I haven't asked him what he would use it for!?!?!  Somewhere in the middle of this water drama our oldest daughter and son got the giggles.  It was all comical!  Joel and I still chuckle when we bring this story to light.  

I can hear the winds outside today.  Sunshine but strong winds.  I expect our trees will loose more leaves.  Just a few years ago we had snow on the ground on the 21st.....but today it will be 60 degrees and sunny.....and windy.  I'm not eeady for snow.  Hold on tight Autumn, please don't leave us let~

I have been listening to a few podcasts and teachings this week by Barry Bennett, Bill Johnson, Lutheran Church of Hope and Lisa Harper.  We are into Jeremiah in the OT and James in the NT.  The last time I studied Jeremiah was in BIble College in 1967.  Professor Fageberg taught us and I confess after decades I don't remember what he taught, but I think Joel STILL has his notes on the class.  Neither of us are particularly enjoying the Old Testament but it seems more relevant right now with what is going on in Israel and the Middle East.  I am not sure much has changed.  

Speaking of change, I want to apologize for mistakes I make while writing.  My vision is challenging, especially while on the computer so I don't always catch my errors.  It is what it is! 

Speaking of change, last night as I sat on the sofa towards dark I looked out to see the moon shining brightly in the sky. With it's glow in the background of a tall pine tree it was beautiful to behold.  A bit later I looked up and it was covered by the tree and shortly after it showed up on the other side of the pine.  I was surprised by how quickly the earth moves and we don't even realize it.  I guess life goes by the same way, so quickly at times we don't even feel or notice it.  Anyway, I so enjoyed that view of the moon.

Today I am grateful for that view of the moon at dusk and the view of the vividly bright orange/yellow tree during the day.  Two different views from out the same window!  Grateful for a new toilet, and a volunteer willing to help Joel.  Grateful for stories of another time with toilets!  Grateful for Joel getting some biking in, the walking I do.  Grateful for a quiet week in "Lake Woebegone".  Grateful for podcasts, sermons, and teachings at our fingertips.  Grateful for Alexa that plays George Winston on command.  Grateful for audiobooks to pass the time.  Grateful for friends and family who pray, call, text, and email.  Grateful for all this and so much more........

Enjoy your weekend!






No comments: