Saturday, August 13, 2022

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you on this mid August day!  It is a bit cloudy, a bit sticky, and a bit cooler...unusual temps for August.  A week ago we got nearly 6 inches of rain during the night.  It was greatly needed.  Yesterday it felt a bit like fall had arrived with the cool temps, winds and dryer air, but alas today we are back to the hazy, lazy days of summer.  

I just have to ask the question....does anyone have lazy hazy days of summer anymore?  When we were kids it mean freedom from the pressures of school....making your own entertainment, enjoying the outdoors.  It appears to me now that many kids have their days so scheduled and planned that they have no idea what to do with free time or even have any to think about.  What is that?  Our bodies and minds were created for rest too.  Just say'ln......

After talking about lazy hazy days of summer, I'm reporting here that Joel painted our renovated bathroom this week. Hard tedious work!   First the trim and cabinet and around doors before tackling 2 coats on the walls.  We decided I best not help after my reactions to laminate.  Painting is on the bottom of his list, along with vacuuming, but he got the painting done and it looks great.  Our bathroom should be finished completely the first part of the week.  Yay!  He helped our carpenter some and managed a couple bike rides.  He is now off to his Sat. morning "Gabby Grandpas" coffee group that meets outside.  

Speaking of painting, we went with Sherwin-Williams and have been frustrated with their service.  First of all our whole house was painted with Harmony Paint 18 years ago.  It is a zero VOC paint which they told us they are phasing out......okay so they told us about another paint that was similar.  We trusted the man's word, paying a sale price for it.  We ended up needing more and when Joel went back they didn't have any in stock.  What?  We drove 1/2 hr away to another store to pick it up and paid $22 more for a gallon because it was not on sale at that store.  I did some research when we got home ( after the fact) and discovered we were not told the truth and the paint we have is not zero VOC.  It will be fine, it is just a bathroom and will outgas but this store in town is now off our list.  So costly, and so not honest.  I should have done my own research before putting down the cash, right?    BUT, it is supposed to have some air purifying formula and we both love the color so that is good, right?  The rest is just part of the messiness of life.  We can let our focus be on the messy moments or on the great ones.  

Speaking of great, I waited a whole month for the results of a test I needed to have done and it was "normal", so we are thinking this is one of the great moments to celebrate! After so many battles with cancer and years of Lyme before that, we celebrate all the "normal" medical moments that come my way.  Thank you Jesus!  I also am dealing with a bit of swelling in my right palm, and just love that I can email my "team" at Mayo in the Lymphedema Clinic and have them respond quickly...and eventually my PT Jenny called me and we discussed a couple of options and possibilities.  She shared that many of her patients are having lymphedema troubles increasing this summer due to humidity.  So I now have a plan!  I am always grateful for the fast and caring service I receive from Mayo Clinic.  Another Thank you Jesus!  

Well, our  10 lbs of blueberries are finally coming to an end......I made blueberry cobbler and blueberry quick bread this week.  Along with homemade bread and oatmeal cookies for Joel..  I have been walking 25-30 minutes daily but mostly inside this week with sticky weather.  

Speaking the reno, besides the front porch,  I have been "hiding" in the family room in the basement or a half-down bedroom since the rest of our house is open and sounds and smells drift throughout.  Our house is really too big for two people, but we have appreciated it's footage during the reno!  We are blessed! 

Today the police talked to Joel and other neighbors because of an incident that took place this morning.  It took me back to a time when the police stopped outside and asked Joel if he had seen a WHITE GOAT!  Evidently a goat had gotten away from a local farm and was seen in our neighborhood association.  It cracked us both us.  A white goat?!?  I figured it was a slow day for our local policeman when he was out searching for a goat!   giggle......

So, today, I am giving thanks for the reno almost being done, for the places to "hide" within our home!  Grateful for all the blueberry concoctions, for the smell of homemade bread, the kitchen stove that makes cooking and baking so easy.  Grateful Joel got the painting done.  Grateful for Wordle, Quordle, and Octordle that give my brain exercise.  Grateful for hearing the word normal and getting help from Jenny so quickly.  Grateful for gift cards ( I just used up my last one from Christmas).  Grateful for the police who cover all kinds of incidents.  Grateful for social media that keeps me connected to so many friends and family near and far.  Grateful for phone calls, texts, emails, and so much more.............

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: