Thursday, April 26, 2018

Tell Them God Is With Me



I have been going back over old posts I have written here in the past 6 years as I put together what I think would be worthwhile to be in book form.  Recently I re-read an article I wrote in 2013 about our grandson Grant.

Grant ended up taking an ambulance ride to ER after breaking the large bones in his forearm while at a wrestling meet.  He landed with his full weight on his arm, snapping both the large bones.  I cannot imagine the pain he felt or the fear he experienced when his arm hung over in a "U" shape.  At age 11 it must have been pretty traumatic.

While in the ambulance he told his dad to call us so we would know about his injury.  He wanted his dad to tell us "God is with me".  God is with me.  He was worried, even thinking he might die at one point, but he knew God was with him.  He was in an ambulance in terrible pain but he wanted us to know God was with him.  As you can imagine, we were pretty proud of him.  We also could not help but ponder what lessons Grant was teaching us and everyone around him.

God's timing is always perfect and re-reading this story felt like a warm blanket of God's love.  My medical journey continues with eye issues that I can only put into God's hands.  We are still waiting for the monthly injections to work.  I am still limiting my "sunlight" because the retina reacts so strongly bringing with it a light show.  Truthfully it has at times brought me to my knees.  I am an avid reader and writer and my vision is kinda important.  I expect we all feel the same way.  And the Vitamin D toxicity?  I'm slowly improving.

Our brother-in-law Lanny is going through chemo for lung cancer.  It has been more than a little challenging.  In just a few weeks he will begin radiation.  Tough season.  Our dear friend L. is just beginning a familiar journey of surgery, chemo, and radiation.  Another long time friend, B. has been given a terminal diagnosis.  There are more....too many more.  We pray and we remember, God walks with them all.

"The Lord your God goes before you and will be with you; 
He will never leave you nor forsake you,  
Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."
Deuteronomy 31:8

The words our grandson, now 17, shared that day will always hold true.  No matter what we are going through, good bad, or ugly, GOD is with us.  We are never alone.  Absolutely never alone.  He  rides with us in an ambulance, stands by the surgery table, cries with us when we are experiencing deep sorrow, celebrates with us when we are filled with joy.

God is with us.

No comments: