Saturday, May 4, 2019

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you from our corner of the world.  It is going to be 70 degrees today with partly cloudy skies.  Last Saturday it snowed all day!  Welcome to Spring in Iowa!

Speaking of Spring it is so nice to see everything so green.  The trees are budding and some of the flowers are blooming.  Our neighbor has a apple tree that blooms every year and we are blessed to enjoy it from our living room window. When we lived in the Philippines we had such a variety of flowering bushes and trees to enjoy.  In fact, Poinsettias grew into huge bushes of beauty there year round.  Amazing!

Speaking of amazing, this has been a crazy week for me.  Monday I saw the Urologist and he removed the stent in my left kidney.  Tuesday I saw the Dermatologist for an autoimmune skin disorder that has flared up.  Wednesday I had labs.  Thursday morning I had an ultrasound on my right breast and Thursday afternoon I had a back molar extracted at the N.I. Dental Surgery clinic.  Friday more labs.  Exhausting!  BUT lots of good news!  I no longer have any stents and that means I am getting up only 2x a night instead of 5-7x.  More sleep!  I also do not have to go back to the Urologist for 4 months.  Yippee!  The Ultrasound showed that the area they had looked at last fall in diagnosing the breast cancer has gotten "considerably smaller" in the radiologist's words.  Praise God!!  This is such good news.  The challenging treatments are working and we can now move forward with the next step.  The tooth is now out and that healing has begun also.  My body is pretty beat up and tired, but the good news is being celebrated!

I think I have been reading and watching too many murder mysteries lately!  The other night Joel heard me having a long conversation about solving a murder!  Yep.  It may be time to set aside the mysteries for awhile!  Ever since I was a kid I have enjoyed reading mysteries.  I began with Trixie Belden books and Nancy Drew mysteries.  Throughout the years I learned to read "light" mysteries and avoid the gruesome kind that gave me nightmares.


All the snow and then rain caused a levee to break in Davenport Iowa.  The Mississippi River quickly flooded the downtown of the city and is 23 feet above flood stage.  Worst flooding since the early 90's.  Nature has so much power.   Over the years I/we have experienced fires, floods, tornados, earthquakes, and typhoons.  Thankfully we have come through them all unscathed.  It has all made us cautious and respectful of nature's power.

Last night Diane Sawyer had a special on 20/20 about the amount of screen time adults and children add in to their days.  In a day and a half, 36 hours~ a typical family they observed spent anywhere from 5 to 14 hours on their screens.  The adults were on the low end and the kids the high end.  A lot of time was spent on video games.....the youngest son spent over 7 hours playing a video game.  Joel says he remembers when he noticed the change.  One Thanksgiving a few years ago our family all came to visit and he walked into the living room to see that everyone was on their phones.  TV on, they sat scrolling on their phones, and adding in to any conversation periodically.  I know I spend too much time on social media.  Although we did not watch the whole special with Diane Sawyer, it was very enlightening and actually a bit depressing.  So much good comes from having such great technology, like texting, photo sharing, etc......and of course so much bad too.  It is about finding balance I guess.

Balance..........we need it in every area of our lives, don't we.  Whether body, soul, or spirit, balance is necessary to keep us centered in peace and wholeness.  May your Saturday be filled with balance.......






1 comment:

NanaNor's said...

Dear Renee, So glad your week is over and you have some good news. Our weather is just as wacky-we had over a week ago, then nice weather this week and snow again next week. Our old neighbors from Ca. are coming tomorrow for the week and it is supposed to snow. Hubby has tickets for the Giants vs Rockies baseball game, but if it snows it will be cancelled.
Blessings to you today!
Noreen