Saturday, September 19, 2020

Saturday's Scribbles


Good Saturday to you from our corner of the world where Fall is beginning to show off it's beauty.  Oh, how I love Fall!  This week we got out our few Autumn decorations and it makes me smile to see all the golds, rusts, oranges, and browns as I look around.  Did I say this already?  I LOVE Fall!  

Speaking of Fall, the squirrels are burying corn in our yard again....I keep wondering how they think they will find it under all the snow.  We had one squirrel drag a whole ear into our yard and then methodically take one kernel off at a time to store up for winter.  When it was getting dark yesterday I glanced up and saw three deer in our yard ~ all yearlings.  They come through our yard on the way to the river.  We have watched so many do that over the years so in their minds it is the River Trail as we call it.  We often are hearing geese overhead too.  Yes, nature is preparing for what is coming.  

Speaking of that, so are we.  Joel has been getting a few yard projects done, like laying rock on the side of the house, painting all the cement below the siding, and soon he will stain the back deck.  He is biking most days, although it has been quite windy.  I have been walking, working on a puzzle, reading, and cooking.  I had a tooth prepared for a crown on Monday and PT on Thursday, otherwise I'm sticking close to home.  You know, even though they are up close and personal in my mouth at the dentist, they are so very careful that I feel comfortable being there.  You call when you arrive in the parking lot and they come out and get you.  You go through the temperature check and questions about symptoms, and sanitize your hands before you get in the door.  Then you are whisked right back into a room with a plastic door covering and air purifier inside.  You have to rinse your mouth with a Lysterine/Hydrogen Peroxide mixture.  The tech and doctor are in long white coats that they change for every patient.  They wear masks and plastic shields.  They put some kind of soft plastic covering over your mouth with only the tooth they are working on visible.  When you are done, your mask goes back on and you leave the office.  The new normal!

Speaking of new normal, it does fascinate me how creative everyone has gotten while we wait for some sense of normalcy to return.  This new normal has been received quite well by most people as we all try to navigate the unknown.  Today I cut Joel's hair just like I have for decades....We both then cut my hair.  He did the back and some of the sides and I did the front sides....the top is not growing so we left that alone.  It looks pretty good for amateurs!  

We found a new series to watch on Netflix that for us is both entertaining and relaxing.  It is called "The Repair Shop" and takes place in England.  People bring in their favorite or important items to be restored like clocks, stuffed childhood animals, desks, etc. and we watch the process of restoring each item.  We both really enjoy it! We find ourselves looking for the quieter less stressful shows to watch and go back to favorites quite often.  The porch calls our name too, with it's own great nature "reality show" to watch.


As I look over at a bowl full of gourds that graces our coffee table, I am grateful for being able to enjoy Autumn again this year.  Last year was tough as I was in the midst of chemo, bald, weak as a kitten.  Yeah....So even when I look in the mirror today and see my flat chest, big tummy, and sparce hair right up front, I am thankful to be here to enjoy Fall in 2020.  2020 might be a year of challenges beyond our imagination or understanding, but just being here to enjoy each day?....I remind myself, that's a gift.

Speaking of that, my sister Jo is making strides this week.  Yesterday she ate her first meal in a month.  She enjoyed some turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy and squash.  She is sleeping better, they are able to get her up more to sit in a chair, and they seem to be getting the nausea under control even though it still plagues her.  Her surgeon came in to see her yesterday and speak with her for the first time, as she was able to do so.  She is the 1 out of 10 over the age of 60 who actually survive after being on the ECMO. We are so grateful.

And adding to our gratitude for Jo still being here with us, we are also thankful this week for phone calls, texting, laughter, new TV shows to relax by, Fall colors,  haircuts, gentle caring dentists, and the power of prayer.  

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: