Saturday, January 9, 2021

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you from our small corner of the world where January weather has been mild for the first couple weeks of the year.  Usually temperatures plunge and wind chills keep us inside. but we are heading to 39 degrees for Monday so what snow we have left will melt I expect.   We noticed that the squirrels who live in our backyard tree are very chubby, so I guess, like me, they have not gone without food this year!  

I expect for most of us stress eaters, food has been easier to reach for with all that came in 2020.  Unfortunately, 2021 has not started out any less stressful!  So, what works for you when stress creates "issues" in your life?  Maybe meditation, deep breathing, more laughter, more prayer time. less "grazing in the kitchen", less news?  Or more?  Whatever helps, right?!

Speaking of 2021, I cannot help but feel great angst for what happened at our Capitol in Washington D.C.  It was completely unacceptable.  As we sat glued to the TV, we were disappointed to see the violence, destruction, disrespect, and threats that sent all our congress members into hiding.  I was especially stunned by hearing a woman in her 60's speak to a journalist, saying she thought what had happened was great, and every member of congress should be "dragged out of the capitol by their hair".  We keep hearing that THIS is not America, but sadly we are IN America and this is happening in America at the hands of Americans.  We have become a divided country for sure.  I could give my reasons why I think we are in this place, but they would only be my opinions.  I'm actually a bit weary of hearing everyone's opinions so I won't add mine to the mix today.

A great start into 2021 was Joel's book arriving.  He has ordered copies of it to send out to family and a few friends, but I will say if anyone here is interested in reading it you can find it on Amazon as a printed or e-book.  The title is "A Little To The Right of Crazy" by Joel Dahlen.  (a little free advertising here!)  We are so excited that his years of hard work can be held in his hand now!  I have mentioned before that self publishing with Kindle was not without it's challenges, and he has continued to deal with them to correct mistakes we found in the current version, but putting that aside, we are very happy with the book overall and grateful that it is ready to share.  I have been reading it for a third time, this being the first time I have opened its cover as a reader and not editor.  I might be a little bit prejudice, but I think it is really good!


Yesterday and today I gathered up all the Christmas decorations to be packed away for another year.  This usually saddens me somewhat as everything looks so bare when all those special decorations are back in their tubs.  With the good weather Joel got the outside lights put away too.  We did decided we are going to find somewhere to put lights to brighten up the living area on dark and dreary days.  This year though, I confess, our tree was in a corner so we decorated only the front and sides....not the back!  I don't think the wall minded!

Today homemade chicken and rice soup in cooking on the stove, making the house smell so good.  Usually we wait for a bitterly cold day to get out the big soup pot, or if one of us is fighting a virus, but today it just felt like a soup day.  Everything we put in it from the chicken breast with skin on, carrots, celery, peas, garlic, basil, bay leaves, salt, rice and peas make it all a good natural healthy meal........or two.....or four!  Good thing we both like leftovers!

I headed in for an eye shot on Tuesday.  It went well, but my one eye is getting more fluid again so if you are inclined to pray I wouldn't mind that one bit.  I go so often I enjoy chatting with the nurses and staff.....We also had a good time on Monday having a mask wearing, social distancing, heated garage visit with my sister Kay and her hubby.  Hadn't seen them for too long to even speak about.  It felt good to see people in person, but I sure miss the hugs!  I am a hugger so am feeling a bit deprived.  So thankful I have Joel to hug on!

So, today I am giving thanks for Joel's book arriving, for homemade soup on the stove, the decorations all in their tubs tucked away, an eye shot to help keep my vision, texts, phone calls, garage visits, laughter, tears, prayers, Joel's hugs, God's assurance He's still God, and the love of family and friends.

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: