Saturday, May 1, 2021

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you from our corner of the world where we are heading for a high of 92 degrees!.  Such unusual weather....first cold, then really hot, then cold again, then hot. As I write this I hear lawn mowers outside as this weekly or bi-weekly task officially starts.  People are digging in their gardens and spraying chemicals on their weeds as they seek the perfect lawn.  To me, looks are deceiving, as those chemicals seep into our water and poison our bees and butterflies.  But, alas, for most it is easier than taking out the dandelions one by one.  I often think if we lived in the country the dandelions would be left alone, but we do not, so I do wonder how Joel will get rid of them this year since he is nursing a sore back and the instrument of choice to rid the lawn of them is hard on the back.  Of course right after I wrote this I looked out and he was plucking dandelions from the ground with his special tool.

So, my hubby decided last week that he would lay edgers around a large area of the south side of the house and lay rock in the areas.....I mentioned it before.  Seems that doing all that heavy work in only 2 1/2 days was a little bit too much for a guy who will soon be 75.  Besides laying many many edgers, he loaded, unloaded, and put out 83 bags of rock.  By Saturday night he felt a "bit sick", and by Sunday night he found himself playing musical beds, moving from the bed, to the recliner, to the wicker sofa as he attempted to find a comfortable spot.  Monday's aches and pains sent him to the chiropractor where he was helped, but the back muscles are still talking.  He is able to ride again though, so he is on the mend.  It was not his week with his hearing tests revealing a 40% loss in one ear, 15%  in the other and to top it off his eyes quit tracking together so an early last minute morning appointment on Wednesday ruled out anything major, they believe it is ocular migraines.  New glasses are ordered in the hope it will take care of the issue.  I told him, he has had no real issues for years and now three in one week?  Seriously.  Stop.  I prefer when you walk in full health, buddy!

Bundled up for a walk

Speaking of walking, last Sunday morning we watched early church and then headed out for a walk at Lime Creek Preserve on the edge of our town to walk in the rain...I love walking in the rain.  Luckily I wore a winter coat since by the time we got there it was snowing big flakes!  The temperature dropped to 31 but we still decided to walk the mile trail.......we had the place to ourselves. Here we are bundled up....and today 92!

You know that saying, "When I get old I will wear purple?"  Well, I have modified it to say, "When I get old I will wear leggings".  I know.  I'm 73.  I am no slim sister.  I just find them so comfortable at this stage of my life and with my body's complaints.  Leggings....with loooooong tunic tops of course.  Theystarted out as my COVID isolation clothing and now they are just my "when I grow old I want to be comfy" clothing.  Can anyone relate?  Do you have your own comfort clothing?  The past 2-3 years have mostly taken from me the need to seek the approval of others when I dress.  I still struggle with my body image, but I'm working on it.....

I was in the mood for baking earlier this week so I made Joel 7 dozen ginger cookies and a loaf of honey whole wheat bread from scratch.  My mixer has a bread hook so that is nice! I made myself some almond butter bars too.  We also got out the grill Friday night to officially begin the grilling season.

This past week was my sister Jo's 88th birthday which she celebrated in Heaven!  She loved to be with her family on her birthday and go to one of her favorite places for a meal.  This year she was with other family who have died and I am sure Jesus stopped by to say hi!  I expect every day in Heaven feels like a birthday celebration!  We miss you Joey!

So today I am grateful for walks in the snow, birthdays in Heaven, Joel's back being better and his eyes and ears being taken care of, leggings, growing older, texts from family and friends, phone calls, our electric grill, baking, warm weather, and so much more.........

Enjoy your weekend~



No comments: