Saturday, August 14, 2021

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you from the upper Midwest where August is bringing us low 80's and dryer heat again after a few days of Filipino-like weather.  I am more than happy with the low humidity although I expect we could still use some rain.  We were sitting on the porch this week and I glanced at the large bush that protects part of the porch and I noticed that the leaves were drooping and some were even curled up!  Yikes!  They needed water and ASAP.  We usually don't need to water them, but lack of rain put them in a "crisis".  I was happy to see that they were back in true form just a day later.

Speaking of happy, Joel was feeling that yesterday after he drove to Clear Lake and did a 15 mile bike ride around the lake.  His main trail here has been cut up this summer as they are doing some repair work so he was happy to change his location.  I've been able to walk 30 minutes several days which makes me happy too.  

When I was growing up the term "lazy, hazy days of summer" really held true.  We always had so much free time, especially before I started working at a local new retirement home.  I feel like that has come full circle for us lately ~ lazy hazy days of summer with not much on the agenda.  Can't say I always enjoy that....just means we have a quiet house.  I like the saying, "I would rather wear out than rust out" but this body does not always cooperate with that mantra!  Still, we keep asking God for more purpose.......

Getting back to the days of summer, during my Junior High and High School years we would often go as a family to a lake in a town about 1/2 hr away.  Our family friends had a boat and skis and a bunch of kids just like we did.  We would spend a whole day or weekend (driving back and forth) in the sun, boating, swimming, having a picnic lunch, etc.  I'm not too fond of boats myself but several of my sibs like boating, lake cabin living, and fishing.  Our oldest and her family are able to enjoy a cabin lake life in WI.  There is something special about lake living in the upper Midwest, where in Minnesota there is over 10,000 lakes to choose from!  I think that is one of things I miss living here in Iowa.  I miss the water, many lakes (Joel's hometown has 3 lakes within it's borders and the county has over 1100!), all the green spaces, forests, and even the Minnesooooota accents!  I think ours has faded over the years for sure. ( You betcha) Of course we miss family too.....  but we miss them wherever we are unless we are all gathered under one roof!  

Speaking of gathering, in two weeks time we are to hold Gr, Jo's memorial service with a small interment/graveside service before family goes to her favorite place to eat.  We have reserved the party room and outdoor space for family to come and eat and share memories, etc.  With CoVid-19  on the rise, we are cautiously hopeful nothing will interfere with that.  

Speaking of Covid, we have gone back to masks in public as cases rise, hospitalizations rise, and ICU cases rise again here in our country.  Cases have tripled in past three weeks.  Seriously need this over and gone, don't we.  I don't like this new normal!

Yesterday I headed back for a maintenance visit with our chiropractor and he gave us tomatoes from his mom's garden on their farm.  There is nothing as good as vine ripened freshly picked tomatoes.  Delish. We decided we just had to have BLT's again with those tomatoes calling our names........That was our meal ~ BLT's with watermelon on the side.  Such a great summer feast!  Getting back to our chiro, his story is fascinating to us.....his mom and dad met in California, married, and eventually moved back to Iowa where she was from.  She is Caucasian and her hubby she brought to Iowa is Japanese.  They took over the family farm I believe,  Dr. Hirota is our favorite kind of chiropractor.....he does not push you to come back for weeks and weeks......is respectful of your special needs or aches and pains, and is good at his job.  (I think I just put a good word in for him....wonder if I could get a discount? )

Tonight Joel is heading to a 150 yrs. church anniversary,  This church is one of now four congregations that have joined together but are still separate.  Joel and his friend Jack were interims there nine years ago and worked to join this geographical parish in NE Iowa.  He enjoyed working there so much it was hard to leave.  So many rural or small town churches are struggling to financially support a full time pastor and our North Iowa Synod has done a good job of joining congregations, yet keeping their separate identities. I expect after Covid and the changes that took place in many congregations, this will become more and more common..  Sharing a pastor or two.  It enables them to keep going!

Speaking of keeping going, I continue with the DNRS program and am learning much along the way.  I over trained this week and ended up with a big flare up of some symptoms, but learned to do some what are called "Calming rounds" of practice,  Definitely an ebb and flow.....and certainly not a straight line to success, but a journey.  Just like life.

Speaking of life, what are you grateful for this week?  I am grateful for every day I wake up.  Grateful for phone calls from some family and a friend, texts that connect us day and night, DNRS, Joel's bike ride around the lake, fresh tomatoes, laughter, tears, prayers from others, and the privilege to pray, porch sitting, bushes coming back to life, all our Minnesota memories, dryer weather, open windows, and so much more.......

Enjoy your weekend!


No comments: