Saturday, September 18, 2021

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you from our corner of the world where beautiful Fall days have graced us this past week.  Loving those Autumn days with dryer air, cooler nighttime temperatures, and all the sounds, smells, and colors of Fall beginning to arrive.  There is nothing not to like about Fall except that it goes by too quickly!

 Thursday we drove to a nearby town to see our youngest get another fitting for her wedding dress.  She is getting married in a few weeks.  So happy for her and her fiancé.  Was fun to see her in the dress....so beautiful!  Both her and the dress!

This past week has had me at too many doctor appointments, although we have had mostly good news! I finally did get the results of the biopsies in the stomach and the colon polyp.  All were benign and normal.  Yay! The eye shot went well, and things are "holding steady".  I did end up at the oncologist again due to fluid building up in my arm, wrist and hand.  An ultrasound followed to rule out any blood clots.  There were none, so now I head to the Lymphedema people at the therapy center.  There is one more test she wants me to have ~ a CT on the chest wall to once again "rule out" cancer.  That will happen after the wedding, but when I told here I was so weary of all the tests she replied, "We are trying to take care of you the best way we can and you have had breast cancer twice, the second time very advanced."  Reality bites.  So, I am trying to be grateful for their continual watchdog attitude while trusting God with my healing, my life.  Sometimes practicing "each day is a gift" takes some effort when you want the whole package. 

After the doctors call in Friday afternoon we were both feeling a bit down.  While surfing the TV we ran across one of my favorite movies, "The Proposal" with Sandra Bullock.  It cracks me up no matter how often I watch it.  We laughed ourselves silly, which was a good way to end the day!

I have been stepping up the walking to 25, 30, and sometimes 40 minutes a day.  Joel has gotten in some biking, and is "putzing" on projects outside and in the garage. He is off to "Gabby Grandpas" this morning for an outside coffee chat with a few guys he knows.  I spent countless hours online again looking for something to wear to the wedding ~ just saying, it seems to me Covid has affected everything including available clothing to purchase!  Not much inventory.....

Speaking of that virus, all I can say is "Judas Priest"...(an expression my mom used).  It is over the top once again and we know so many people with breakthrough cases.  People vaccinated who are so thankful because they have gotten sick anyway, but able to stay at home for the most part.  Someone I know says it is a 5 hr wait to be seen in ER in large hospitals south of here.   Our county's numbers have risen greatly, and we are definitely more cautious now when going out and about.  "Lord.....listen to your people praying...." 

Speaking of the Lord, last Sunday we became members of a local church.  We hope to get involved more now that Joel is "officially" retired and not feeling the desire to be working in ministry.  Oh, I know that could change, but for now we sit together in a pew on Sunday mornings and I like that after 41 years!

We watched the movie, "Red Joan" this past week.  It was based on the oldest and longest active spy for Russia in Great Britain.  It was interesting and we had to look up a bit of info on her ourselves.  She was in her 80's when arrested.  We always look forward to the new fall TV schedule, but I am not sure why, as most shows we find un-watchable!  I guess we are always hoping for something light and upbeat that has clean humor or something without nightmare-producing drama or terror!   So thinking back on TV, I can't help but remember some of our favorite family shows like "Happy Days", "Laverne and Shirley", "Cagney and Lacy", "The Carol Burnett Show", "The Wonderful World of Disney" (Sunday nights with popcorn and pop), the original "Magnum P.I.", "The Waltons","The Partridge Family", "Little House on the Prairie",  "The Brady Bunch", "The Rockford Files", etc. etc.  What favorite TV shows come up for you?  

 I have struggled this week with people's reactions to wearing masks.  It just blows my mind.  Not that people have feelings about wearing them, but their responses to the "rules" set up by states, or businesses concerning wearing them.  I think about the many who have physically attacked airline attendants for enforcing a rule the companies have set up for protection of others.  I can't help but shake my head over the three women from Texas who physically attacked and punched a young woman who asked them for their vaccination cards before they could eat inside at a NYC restaurant.  Here is the thing, they KNOW the rules are there, they KNOW they will enforce them so as far as I am concerned they should be charged with premeditated assault.  The rules apply to everyone.  No one is exempt.  Don't want to follow them?  Don't fly.  Don't eat inside.  And for heaven's sake, why is your response violent!?!  There is such a sense of entitlement in our country. We all need more checks and balances in our lives.  Such anger.  We definitely need God more than ever, don't we.  

So this week I am thankful for persistent doctors who annoy me but want me healthy, for walking more, for seeing our youngest in her wedding dress, for texts, phone calls, funny movies that make us laugh,  for Fall colors, smells and sounds, for the power of prayer, for good news, for a church membership, for Joel's loved and support, for rules that protect, for each day, and so much more.........

Enjoy your weekend!


No comments: