Saturday, May 14, 2022

Saturday's Scribbles

It is a beautiful day here in our corner of the world with temps rising to 81 degrees before heading back down tomorrow to "normal".  The trees are  filling out and growing grass means lawns are being mowed, and flowers planted.  Our baby bunny continues to give us endless entertainment (especially for Joel).  I love sitting in the living room and hearing the birds talking in the mornings.  They are as happy as we are to have winter behind us.

Speaking of that, we had three days this past week where temps hit the 90's breaking records.  Humidity was high too so we mostly stayed inside.  We had scheduled an  A/C check so it was good to know that was ready for the heat.  Strange weather for early May.

Speaking of strange weather, one of our families went through a nasty storm on Thursday and a tree fell on their house.  No real damage to speak of which is amazing.  All around them and in a nearby town there was flooding, damage to roofs, houses, farms, etc.  Not good at all.  We are grateful they are all doing well and got off "so easy" with just one tall old pine tree down.

Speaking of old, I am feeling that way this week, I have not fallen on the roof,,,haha.... but have been hitting the sofa pretty hard the last three days.  Yesterday we went to Verizon to get a screen protector and have someone help me activate voice texting as it would not work.  We have to stand and wait for our turn but after a few minutes I told Joel I had to sit down....now.   Been a very long time since that has come up, but afterwards I told Joel I still wanted to go to T J Maxx to shop....stubborn is a word that can be used to describe me.....I prefer tenacity.  Ha..... It meant the rest of the day and night were not good .  Doing some research for answers i learned Lymphedema has it's own set of symptoms...more than just swelling of limbs or chest wall.  Huh......did not know this.  That took me back to when I went to the breast clinic at Mayo where I sat with a Nurse Practitioner who looked me in the eye and said, "Look, you have been through six surgeries in 9 months, you were on oral chemo for 6 months, then chemo IV's and radiation after a double mastectomy.  Now you are on an anti-cancer treatment.  You nee to be gentle with yourself.  You body is doing the best it can.  Things will not come back quickly and some things will change."  I have fought hard to be here but forget the toll it has taken.

I'm thinking there are others who may be going through tough times...cuz if you are living, you WILL.  Don't expect too much from yourselves,  don't force your body to do things it is warning you about.  Accept where you are right now...don't resist, but take the present moment and just breathe into it.  I will add, don't give up before you get your miracle, but enjoy every step of your journey. And isn't every day a miracle to behold?!  So many journeys are cut short.  If we have learned anything from this pandemic this should be it.  Life is precious.  

So last Sunday was Mother's Day and we actually went to nearby Clear Lake to a Local Lutheran Church of Hope site.  I needed to be able to raise my hands during worship!  It was a good thing.  Grilled pork chops, phone calls, and texts made the rest of the day special. I was expecting pansies from Joel but got a runner for the front entry instead.  We have been trying to find one that works.....bought the wrong one....Joel searched and found a great match to the rug that is in front of the closet.  He has good taste! Well, in some things anyway!  Ha,..  It was definitely a nice surprise. We went together and purchased the pansies on Monday together!

Love the new rugs


Pansies

So Joel has been spending as much time as he can outside...yardwork, porch sitting, and his latest project.  He rode his bike a couple of times and today is doing the floors in our house.  This takes awhile since we have 5 levels of floors.....It is a complicated floor plan.  Basement, landing with half down bedroom, main level, half up landing and bedroom, upstairs.  Yeah....if you are wondering why these two oldsters are living in such a house at our age?  So am I!  Ha...

So this week I am grateful for new rugs, pansies that remind me of my mom, a new phone case, baby bunnies, my hubby doing floors, Mother's Day worship, Dutch tulips that are growing fast, phone calls, texts, and emails, the power of prayer, homemade bread, a hubby who can still run up and down the stairs, open doors and windows, knowing..."this too will pass", family being safe in the storm, comfy sofas, and so much more.......

Enjoy your weekend!


No comments: