Saturday, January 6, 2024

Saturday's Scribbles



Good Saturday to you on this first weekend of January, 2024!  It is a new year....a new beginning...filled with new hope.  And God is doing a "new thing"....

"Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past.  See, I am doing a new thing; now it springs up, do you not perceive it?  I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."

                                  Isaiah 43:18, 19

Last Sunday Joel and I headed to church.  That evening, New Year's Eve, we ate nachos and watched a comedy...My Big Fat Greek Wedding #3.  It was okay....made us laugh and that is not a bad way to end the year.....although we were both asleep well before midnight.  I can't remember the last time we stayed up to actually bring in the new year.  Staying up til 10 is close enough for me!  Ha

Looking back over the past year was in many ways sobering...so many losses,.  BUT it also reminded us of how often God intervened.  How often prayers held us up.  How often the love and encouragement from others blessed us.  Now we look forward.  A new year.  A new thing.

Regarding that, I was hoping to get through 2 whole months without a doctor appointment but yesterday I cut my finger while cutting up fresh broccoli.  It seems I don't see so well looking down anymore.  Duh.. So with a deep enough cut and the fact that I had literally not had a tetnus shot for close to 30 years we decided I better cover all my bases.  Especially with this body.  AND no shot without a doctor seeing me first.  Really?!?!  I woke today with no real side effects to the shot so that is all good.  

Yesterday morning I "bit the bullet" and went looking for new tennis shoes.  This has been a 2+ year journey.  I prayed for a pair to show up quickly....AND we found a pair within an hour....Sketcher slip-ons that fit surprisingly well, and do not make my balance worse.  Mission accomplished and it only took 2 plus years!  My old walking tennies?  They are 12 years old now and put to rest!

Joel took down the outdoor lights yesterday.  He has been walking some outside and working a lot in the office on end of year stuff.  We have started gathering all the Christmas decorations too.  Our plan is to go through everything to pare down what we keep.  AND sort the storage area too which will take awhile.  Just have too much stuff!  

Joel is off to Gabby Grandpas this morning.  This group was started by John Skipper who worked for the local newspaper and wrote several books. He helped Joel edit his book.  The group consists of mostly men from John's church and a couple of stragglers....like Joel.  John went home to Heaven just over a year ago, but his group lives on along with his legacy.  I am sure he is smiling today as he watches the guys gather and visit.  Joel also is part of a colleague group that has been meeting once a month for longer than the 25 years Joel has been a part of it.  It is a small group that connect and share and encourage.  All good.

The last couple of days have overflowed with a flood of things that need prayer..  The terrrible school shooting in Perry Iowa....resulting in the death of a sixth grader and  the 17 yr old suspect.  I have four high school friends who are dealing with health problems and viruses, we have family dealing with sickness, cancer, procedures, surgeries.  and so many and so much more.  A person could spend all their time on their knees.  2024 has started off with a "boatload of crap"....excuse my language,  Yet GOD.  Yet God is in the midst of it all and we know out of the "dung heap" He will do a "new thing".  Our prayers are many but today after we bowed our heads to pray, when I looked up I  "saw" a bit of a sunrise just over a hill and if I just stood on my tip toes I could see a new thing coming! God's promises are coming for us all.   Hang on....You've got whatever is burdening you,,,,cuz GOD has it in the palm of His hands,  You make a good team.

I am listenng to Kenny G this morning while I write.  He has been on my playlist long before there were such things.  I find his music soothing.

Speaking of a long time..........Joel and I were exploring the Roku channel this week and came across a very old show....like 50 years ago old.."The Rockford Files" with James Gardner,  We watched a couple of episodes and then discussed the changes from today's TV content,  We were surprised at how violent it was and also some of the language used that would be offensive today...not swear words but words used to describe a gay person for one example.  Also how sexist the show was in how women were portrayed and treated.  Somethings have improved.  Lindsey Wagner was in the first episode and she went on to be "The Bionic Woman".  Blows my mind when I think these shows were on 50 years ago.  Yikes!

It is time to shut down this week's Scribbles and I always like to end with things I am grateful for,. Today I am grateful for the memories of a wonderful family gathering.  Grateful for a new TV to "explore".  Grateful for shots that protect and medicine that heals.  Grateful for walks and new shoes to walk in!  Grateful for Kenny G music.  Grateful for all the texts, emails, and phone calls that brighten our days.  Grateful for all the nice Christmas gifts we received,  For the Christmas cards that catch us up on old friends.  Grateful for the prayers of others and the privilege to pray.  And so much more........

Enjoy your weekend!



No comments: