Saturday, February 25, 2023

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you on this last weekend of February.  This past week brought a powerful storm dumping up to 12 inches of snow in many places of the Midwest.  We got "only" six inches and that is enough.  Snow and wind brought things to a standstill for a while.  And for Monday?  Rain is forecast!  Crazy weather! 

 Friday morning Joel called me to come look out the upstairs window at 5 deer in the neighbor's yard. They know where they can find some food!  They were pretty to look at from afar.  Mostly gentle animals, I have seen one annoyed with me......It was eating the neighbor's bushes and I went outside in the yard to chase it away.  When the doe started pawing the ground and snorting I heeded her warning and backed off retreating to the deck.  I was not going to confront a deer that perceived me as a threat. I was unable to save the neighbor's bush!

Monday I saw the doctor and asked if they ever do referrals to Mayo for eye surgeries.  The doctor immediately connected with his staff in Des Moines to have them look into it and now I have a consultation with Mayo Ophthalmology the third week of March.  Just like that.  I like my regular doctor a lot and know he has done all he can, but I guess a second opinion is not a bad idea.......and the month we wait will give us time to know if my eye is getting better or not.  I know the pain is still there because I stopped taking Tylenol 2-3 times a day for stomach issues that arose, and was only taking a pain med and I woke up this morning with the pain speaking loudly.  Seriously done with this.  

We planned to go to Ash Wednesday services but the snow storm had us staying home to worship.  We also had communion and distribution of ashes at home.  Plan B.  I was remembering one Lent growing up when there was a storm.  We still went to church.....walking the mile to get there through a whole lot of snow!  There was only one other family at church besides us.  Our reward for trooping through the storm was being able to stop for hot chocolate on the way back home! That did not happen here! No walking through the snow or hot chocolate!

Friday we went to the theater to see the movie, "Jesus Revolution", based on a true story.  I felt strongly that we were to go see it.  And since we had not gone to a movie theater for 8 years, it was a new adventure.  Especially with my eyes.....but I took a fleece blanket and my sunglasses and it went well.  After coming home, I did research on the names and ministries that came from this period of time when the hippies in California started believing in Jesus.  It is certainly a story from our generation, and a powerful story of how God works.  It just came out this week and runs parallel with the Asbury Revival in my thinking.  The most interesting character for me was Pastor Chuck Smith and what happened in his life and in the lives of thousands when he stepped out of his comfort zone and said yes to Jesus.  So good..........

As I bring this scribbles to an end today I am giving thanks for going to the movie, Jesus Revolution, for the Asbury Revival and those hungry for more of God.  Grateful for doctors, for worship, for prayers, for movies about Jesus, for those brave enough to step out in faith and obedience to God.  Grateful for a warm house, fireplace, wool comforter, and homemade chicken and rice soup.  Grateful for the internet live streams that have Bible studies, worship services, and teachings about God at our fingertips.  Grateful for Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.  Grateful for homemade soup.  Grateful for phone calls, texts, emails, and so much more............

Enjoy the weekend!

No comments: