Saturday, March 4, 2023

Saturday's Scribbles

 

Good Saturday to you on this the first weekend of March.  We are seeing signs of Spring as the temperatures rise and the rain this week melted a lot of the snow.  We had flood warnings and our East Park was closed due to flooding.  Yesterday it was 43 degrees and Joel went for a 10 miles bike ride.  The path was wet in places, but no ice anywhere. 

This past Monday I saw my regular retina dr. and let him know about my appointment with a Mayo plastic surgeon coming up now in 2 weeks.  I did not realize I was seeing a plastic surgeon until I looked her name up.  I'm a bit apprehensive but am trusting God with this process.  The cornea is looking good and my eye is not so red anymore or painful.  But of course I am on tylenol and pain meds. I am certainly ready to get off the pain med which is causing me a few too many issues.  Low blood pressure.....balance......and brain.  I took a stick of butter out of the fridge and needed to grab something else too.  When I shut the fridge door I couldn't remember what I did with the stick of butter....and found it in my tunic pocket!  What??  I melted butter for bread the other day and put it by the mixer.  Then a minute later went to the microwave to take out the butter and was so confused because it was not in there.....I did not remember I had just removed it! Those kind of things keep happening.   Joel says I talk and move slower, but I feel like things are moving faster.  You know, drugs given to help a person should not make you feel worse in other areas.  Ugh...I am sleeping at night, though. Yay!

I have started listening to books instead of reading them and find it fascinating that I get right into the characters and story that is being read aloud.  I am careful what I watch on TV too but did not expect my body to respond so strongly to an audio story......must be my vivid imagination.  But, anyway, isn't it amazing how easy it is to have such things like audio books at our fingertips!  It is great that we can connect to a book, to another country, to our loved ones, to every area of life so quickly and easily.  When we lived in The Philippines we called home once in 2 years because we could not afford the cost.  $40 for 5 minutes.  I remember calling on Christmas and having to end every sentence with "roger" in order to have the overseas call!  And today?  Just pick up your 24/7 attached to the hip phone and punch a few buttons and talk or facetime!  So blessed.

Our oldest daughter is celebrating a birthday this week.  I still remember the day she was born of course.  she was 3 1/2 weeks late and weighed 8 1/2 lbs.  Such beautiful skin for a newborn.  We were in the military then and I was given a saddle block so I could not help push either.  She had little marks on the side of her head where they pulled to bring her out.  We had to stay in the hospital 5 days, we had to strip our own beds and put our own clean sheets on and only saw our babies during feeding time~!  Good grief.  I still want to shake my head when I think about her on our narrow table on her tummy as we took pictures of her.  She was only a few weeks old and lifted herself up and rolled over.  We yelled and rushed to the table as she almost fell off.  Yikes!  At three months you could stand her up leaning against the sofa and she was stay there.  I also remember was how scared we were.  We knew so little about parenting, and unfortunately she was our trial and error child!  Happy Birthday Bethany.  So blessed to call you daughter!

The house smells like homemade chicken and rice soup today....and just a couple of days ago honey whole wheat bread filled the house with a bakery smell.  I also made myself Paleo Almond Butter bars for a treat.  I do like to bake....and I am better at baking than cooking!

Our favorite show, All Creatures Great and Small on PBS has finished it's season already.  Dang.  We have turned to a new season of Death in Paradise, and watch Murdock on Britbox or ACORN.  We both like American Idol (most of the time) and that has started up..  Still watching NCIS (original) and So Help Me Todd which is really stupid and unbelievable at times....and yet we watch it!  Ha.... We both enjoy Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy too.  Do you have any favorites?  

Expect it is time to close this scribbles.  Thankful today that I am back on my laptop more without issues, grateful for TV that distracts and entertains, grateful for our oldest daughter, her hubby, and the grands, grateful for warm weather so Joel can bike some again.  Grateful for homemade bread, homemade soup, an appointment at Mayo, memories that make us smile or shake our head!  Grateful for how easy life is regarding conveniences and luxuries.  Grateful for texts, phone calls, emails, prayers and praises, and so much more...

Enjoy your weekend!


 


No comments: