Saturday, March 25, 2023

Saturday's Scribbles

 

Good Saturday to you from our corner of Iowa.  We had more snow this week but it melted again when temperatures went up to 50 degrees!  Spring, you are soooooooooooo welcome  I know that way up in the North Country, they still had 12 foot drifts on either side of their vehicles on some back roads. Yikes.   Sometimes it pays off to live in the "South". Haha

Last Sunday afternoon my sister and her hubby came by for a birthday visit.  So good to see them.  Monday was my 75th birthday and it was a good day with phone calls, texts, Facebook greetings, and a fun dinner of homemade whole wheat French Toast, fresh strawberries, real whipping cream and bacon.  Delish!  I am so thankful to still be hanging around enjoying life.

This was also a "deep breathing" kind of week.  Tuesday we headed north to Rochester MN to Mayo Clinic to see the Ocular Plastic Surgeon for a surgery evaluation.  Before my appointment we went to Trader Joe's to stock up on our favorites.  The appointment went well, and required a lot of deep breathing, with so much information to process.  I will be scheduled for surgery and it looks like that will be the end of April.  It will be good to be on the other side of this.  Joel and I are both physically and emotionally tired from it all.  Friday I had my 6 month check up with my oncologist.  More deep breathing and surrendering (to God) .  The news was good.  The exam and blood work was great and I don't go back for 6 months.  Yippee!!  On Monday I see my regular retina doctor.  My eye and head have felt better and I am still sleeping well.  We think my balance issues at times are due to a couple of the drops I'm on that lower blood pressure...mine has been really low at times when we check at home.  Anyway, that is my health update for the week.  May I just say thank you for walking this journey with us...I look forward to when it is not all about my health concerns and more about new adventures!

Is God in the midst of it all?  Absolutely!  He IS making a way in the wilderness.  He is the voice we need to listen to telling us to go to the right or to the left. I lam going to share a story that God has brought to mind recently.  

 When I was deciding about going to Mayo for radiation treatments in 2019-20,  I seriously considered whether God wanted to me have proton radiation, which would require being in Rochester MN for 5 weeks of treatment.  I kept getting a verse that said, "Some people rely on chariots and horses but we will put our trust in the name of the Lord our God.  Psalm 20.  I pondered whether I was putting my trust in God or the mighty chariots and horses of Mayo Clinic.....While meditating one morning I saw Jesus come to me, take my hand, and lead me to the radiation table.  I laid down on the table and he came and stood behind me putting his hand on my shoulder.  I felt a deep peace that I hung on to throughout the daily radiation treatments.  It was not always easy.....You had to wear a mask that was literally shaped to your face tightly and it snapped down on the table so you could not move.  During the treatments I visualized Jesus standing behind me and they also let me play my "Treatment" Playlist of Christian songs..  This part of my story helps me remember that God is leading the way AND making a way when needed through the wilderness.

Did I mention that Joel just finished his second book, and is revising it some and having our middle daughter edit it for him.  He will self publish again and I am so excited for him.  The process takes time and a lot of effort.  Way to stick with it, Joel.  

Speaking of Joel, I am enjoying some flowers he brought home for my birthday.  A cut bouquet and also a Mexican flowering plant that is in the cactus family.  We hope to celebrate my 75th, Joel's upcoming 77th, and our upcoming 55th wedding anniversary sometime this summer when life settles down some.  We are believing it will~ 

So, ending this scribbles I am giving thanks for the snow leaving, temperatures rising, and our two favorite ducks are back in the neighborhood to nest.  Grateful for a good birthday celebration.  Grateful for us both "liking" the plastic surgeon.  Grateful for a good report from the Oncology appointment...grateful for memories that remind us to let God lead the way....He's got it.  Grateful for flowers that brighten the day, French toast and Bacon, birthday cards, texts, and phone calls.  Grateful for the love and prayers of family and friends....and so much more!

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: