Thursday, March 25, 2021

".....And He Believed In Jesus Christ"

This has been a tragic week for America.  Two mass killings ending the lives of 18 people. It is a never ending scenario that plays over and over again in our country.  Discouraging, disheartening, and so disturbing.  The last shooting happened when one lone man purchased a weapon created for war, and walked into a grocery store with the intention of taking the lives of complete strangers. 

Soon after the mass shooting in Boulder Colorado, the newscasters honed in on the officer that was shot and killed when he responded to a 9-1-1 call. In the early hours no one had any information about the victims or suspect but they had the name of the officer.  It was not long before someone talked to Officer Eric Talley's father who told them a bit about who his son was.  A second career officer, age 51, with seven children, etc......As I read the NPR article on Facebook about Officer Talley, I saw five words that stood out for me as if they were in bold print.  At the very end of the father's description of his son he said..........."And he believed in Jesus Christ".  

Later I watched a few stories on the TV about Boulder and the officer, but never heard those five words that the father had shared. I saw it in print, but I did not hear it come from the mouth of a newscaster.  These words shifted the atmosphere when released.   Officer Talley believed in Jesus Christ. He believed and he lived out His faith.  I hope his family finds comfort in knowing that Jesus welcomed him home.  I don't know anything about the victims lives, but I cannot help but believe that they were welcomed "home" too.  That is my prayer. 

The hatred, violence, and evil that has a grip on our country must end.  We need to know we are safe when we step into a grocery store, go to church, just walk down the street or answer the door.  Jesus must weep over the state of our nation and the suffering and senseless deaths of His people.  He asks us to reach out with love to others.  It is His command and our hope..........Love one another so another father does not have to speak with sadness about his murdered son..............

But Boulder's massacre is right before us and I cannot help but ponder what Officer Talley's father said about his son..........in doing so I hope for myself, for all of us, that when the day comes that we have breathed our last on earth, someone says,  "And she/he believed in Jesus Christ".  How many people have been welcomed home by Jesus this week?  

No comments: