Saturday, March 6, 2021

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you from a bright day of sunshine here in our corner of the world.  There are hints of Spring as we head into a high of 60 tomorrow.  The snow is quickly disappearing even from the shadows of our yard.  I am so looking forward to Spring when we can open windows, air out the stale winter air, and spend time sitting on our little porch.  It is just around the corner........

This week our oldest, Beth, turned 51.  How did that happen?  Happy Birthday Beth!  When we called we reminisced with her about the 10 months I carried her, the unique birthing process in a Army hospital, and the first few weeks she had to survive with her young, naive parents at the helm!  We were living in New Mexico at the time, while Joel was stationed at the Air Force base.  It was a dry and dusty city, but we still fell in love with the West....the landscapes were beautiful once you left the city, and the mountains nearby gave us a taste of the winter life we left behind.  

An Airman did not make much at all, so we were without much money for sure.  Beth slept in a little "car bed" that was next to my side of the bed....or went in the car with us.  We paid for that when Joel took on an extra job to run the little coffee/snack shop on base.  He made an extra dollar a day so we could have a bit of change to pay for baby's needs. If I recall correctly, she did not have her own crib until she was several months old.  When the Air Force moved us to Salt Lake City Utah she slept on a double bed surrounded by pillows in our furnished apartment until we saved for a crib.  She never complained.....haha   Ahhhhhh the good old days!

It has been a quiet week here in our corner of the world.  Joel has been able to get out and bike a couple of times which puts an extra big smile on his face.  I am still walking 20-30 minutes a day.  I made Joel Snickerdoodles this week which reminded me of the first time I ever tasted one.....when we lived in the Philippines our maid liked to make cookies, and Snickerdoodles were a favorite of hers to bake. Those were the days.......Nora was our maid while we lived on base our second year at Clark.  She had five kids at home, so she came early in the morning and headed home after getting supper ready most days.  She worked so hard!  In her "spare time" she crocheted us beautiful afghans a bedspread and tablecloths! We were generous in her pay, but I sometimes would help her out because it seemed odd for me to be watching someone else do my work if I was sitting around!  It was very inexpensive for Americans to build or buy a cement or wood home in a third world country, so we built houses for three different people.  Nora was one of those people.  Her mom lived with them too.  We were so thankful we could help this Christian woman and her family.  I am not sure we ever got used to having a maid?  BUT I can say we were grateful for all she did in our home, including helping us out with our five year old, four year old and two babies.  

Thanks to my friend, Lana, I have been inspired to read the Bible cover to cover.....I have read whole books, I have been in Bible Studies where we read sections of course, but not since college have I read the Bible cover to cover.  I just finished the book of Genesis, and I have to say, I was disturbed by all the murder, lies, deceit, rape, and more that occurs during the time from the story of Adam and Eve to the death of Joseph.  I talked to our Beth about it some on her birthday since her Masters in Theology is in Old Testament and she has taught it at her church where she works.  I knew the stories.......but when you put them all together you have to wonder why God bothers with us at all!  He has to really love us to keep us around, don't you think?!  

Speaking of love, my sister Jan and her hubby Lanny just celebrated their 10th wedding Anniversary.  They were both widowers when they got together.  They knew each other for decades before as friends, but at just the right time God brought them together.  Happy Anniversary to you both!  Hope this year is full of amazing joy!

Speaking of joy, I was thinking about dogs lately....periodically I go back to missing and wanting a dog in our lives again.  They brought us so much joy.  Mayo Clinic did a study that showed that people who have dogs live longer overall.  They have healthier hearts....both physically AND emotionally which makes for overall better health in general.  I'm trying to use this info to shift my hubby's thinking (who actually loves animals). but so far.........

Speaking of animals, we have really enjoyed the new updated version of All Creatures Great and Small on the PBS Channel using our passport membership.  It is also on TV Sunday nights.  It is absolutely our favorite show right now!  What are you watching?  And what are you reading?  Besides the book of Genesis I am reading Ana Werner's new book and Joel's book again, too.

So this week I am grateful for memories of Nora, Snickerdoodles for Joel, warmer temperatures, so many Bibles to choose to read from, the two miniature Schnauzers that shared our home over the years, Beth and the joy she brings into our lives, a sister and brother-in-law's Anniversary, Lana inspiring me, "All Creatures Great and Small" and so much more...................

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: