Saturday, May 2, 2020

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you on this first Saturday in May!  With the trees budding, bright yellow daffodils popping up in yards, and the temperature hitting 80, Spring appears to finally be here to stay.  With that in mind, we headed out to local greenhouses in town on Friday.  We were able to get one of my favorite hanging plants, a Black-eyed Susan Ivy.  Last year we could not find one, so I am a happy camper to be have one grace our front little garden.  We also found a beautiful large pot filled with several shades of pink geraniums and greenery.  A pot of pansies and a red hanging geranium were also purchased at our local HyVee garden center.  So nice to have some color to brighten our days at home.  God has sure done an amazing job with Mother Nature.



Speaking of brightening our days,  at times a cloud still hangs over the continued Covid-19 drama that continues to shake up our lives.  Several states are loosening their social distancing grips, and I think only time will tell if this the right thing to do.  Here in Iowa the Governor said churches could gather again, but at least 21 denominational Bishops and leaders have united to say, not yet.  Not yet.
What do the experts say?  What do the political leaders of the country and states say?  Often they are in opposition.  For the umpteenth time Joel and I have declared.....We will do what we think is best for us, leaning on the side of caution.   We gather our info from experts as we hope and believe are knowledgeable.

Speaking of what is best for us, I had an eye shot this week and unlike last time, the nurse and doctor both did not have masks on.  When the nurse saw me, she asked if she should wear a mask and then answered her own question ~ and she went and got one.  The doctor came in without a mask and asked me if he should wear one....My answer?  Yes!  I told him my Mayo doctor had just told me I am still vulnerable.  My thought was, you wear a mask to protect others and with his appointments in 3 different cities across the state with the elderly he dang well should be wearing one!  A mask says, "I protect you........you protect me".

Speaking of Mayo, a short update is posted here.  I had a long phone appointment. with the nurse practitioner at radiology oncology and then afterwards she gave the info and her update to my doctor he called me and we talked another 20 minutes.  We were given a lot of info to digest.  So far I am doing well after radiation but 3 month exams and check ups are vital along with infusions for my bones every six months.  We are thinking that my care will  be at Mayo Breast Clinic, grateful  for how thorough Mayo is and how quickly we can get there for appointments....well, at least when things open up again!  My only complaint is a continual issue of pain and also fatigue that fluctuates. I am believing it will get less and less.  The nurse practitioner gave me some wise info to hold on to regarding my cancer journey. 

Joel headed out last Tuesday for groceries and prescriptions, going to 5 stores of which Menard's was one.  His favorite!   He is working on his wood project this week, plus riding bike and getting the yard ready for this season.   I write, read, rest, clean, cook, etc. and walk.  It has been so long since I could do household chores, that I kind of enjoy them again.  We both have enjoyed phone visits with family and friends.....staying in touch seems more important than ever.  Also watching TV and reading a book by my a mystery author I enjoy.  He has written a non-fiction book called, "Dogtripping" which is about their move from California to Maine with 25 dogs in 3 Rv's!  It makes us laugh!

It still surprises me that the weeks go by so quickly even as we shelter at home 99% of the time.  We continue to intentionally watch little news, visit more with loved ones across the miles, and laugh.  Gratitude continues to play a big role on this journey we call life.  So grateful for flowers to brighten our days, many shades of green to fill our views, warm temperatures, our resident wrens who are back and singing, a long visit with my NH friend, Katherine, texts, prayers, Netflix, Facebook fun videos that make us laugh, and so much more.  One of the things on our so much more list?  All of you!  Bless you all and enjoy your weekend!

1 comment:

NanaNor's said...

Dear Renee, What a journey you've been on. I find it intolerable that both the nurse and the dr didn't have masks on. Here in Colorado, we seniors wear masks whenever we go to the store or bank; I'm surprised at how many people don't, but it's the law now so I hope things change. I went into a quilt store yesterday-only 7 of us were allowed in and had to wear masks. One lady wanted in without one and the owner told her she needed one-but she threw such a fit that the only finally let her in. I wasn't very happy that she was inside. If she doesn't want to wear one then stay outside.
Your plants are beautiful and represent the beautiful spirit you have during these times.
Blessings to you dear one.
Noreen