Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Signs of Shelter Fatigue



We might be getting a little weary of the staying home policy we have put into place here.  This morning Joel went outside for a while and when he came in he told me he had just had a "three minute conversation" with.............a crow!  He would talk to the crow, the crow would "talk" back.    Thankfully he did not understand what the crow was saying......whew!  (giggle)  It might be a warning sign I'm thinking!

Earlier this morning we decided to go for a ride.  It was raining and dreary and we needed to get out a bit.  We both "dressed up" a bit to go!  Hmmmm   Can you tell we seldom get in the car to go anywhere?  Another sheltering overload sign.  We ended up driving about 25 minutes to a state park.  The campground was closed of course, but the boat launch area was open and we went and parked by the lake.  We then took a short walk in the rain.  It was great to be out in the fresh air, walking under an umbrella.

'When we drove home, we went right through the middle of our little city instead of on the backroads so we could see more people!  Yeah......people besides the two of us!  Shelter fatigue.

Another sign:  I decided I had too much time on my hands when I checked the TV guide today and saw that Life Below Zero is not on!  What?  Oh, how could they do that...............now what?  It might be time to expand my horizons a bit............seriously. 

And then there is the weight gain.........Granted, the pill I am on can keep me plump, but I am thinking it is more the "need" for Benitos Black Bean Chips to crunch on that has me putting on a few pounds.  Not the Freshman 15 but a few quarantine pounds are staring at me/us in the mirror.  Sigh.....

We both have noticed a bit of irritation with each other, with others, with the news, with whatever!  Example:  I have lived with my husband's jokes for 52 years, but they are so much more annoying right now?!?!  He has not changed.........He gets irritated with me saying something about his food choices.....They have not changed and I have not changed.  Shelter fatigue!!    (giggle)

So are you showing signs of shelter fatigue?  Tonight I saw signs of it in others on our national news as they showed people in the Midwest and especially Iowa where people are going back to living as if Coronavirus never existed at all.  We are still having hundreds diagnosed every day in our small state and today was our highest total of deaths.........but the state has opened up in most counties.  For the two of us, when we want to get back to normal, we remind ourselves that there are so many unknowns right now and we stick to our decision.  Even if we are showing signs of shelter fatigue!

How are you filling your days?  Working?  Taking care of your families?  Organizing closets?  Have you stepped back into the world as it was?  Can we ever go back?  We are filling our days as best we can.  We did three closets and super cleaned the office but now we have three black bags full for donation and no where to take them!  So our futon in the family room has bags filling up the space instead of people.  I'm not sure we are going to do much more deep purging since there is no where to take what we are getting rid of. 
,,
Maybe I will just grab a bag of Black Bean Chips, pick up the remote, and keep looking for Life Below Zero to escape in.......


No comments: