Saturday, May 9, 2020

Saturday's Scribbles


It is a sunny Saturday morning here in our corner of the world............and it is very very cold....like freeze warning chilly.....so our newly purchased plants are spending a few nights in the garage.  Today the sunshine is taking the chill out of the air, and the furnace is taking the chill out of the air inside too!

We headed out to a state park 25 minutes west of us this past week and enjoyed sitting by the lake.  We took a short walk in the rain, which is one of my favorite things to do.  I love rain, umbrellas and walking in the rain.  I have been known in my younger years to "dance in the rain".  Such a rebel I was!  Another Fred Astaire....."I'm dancing int he rain..........dancing int he rain......." Ha

Speaking of rain, it has certainly brought everything into blossom and bloom here.  We needed a good soaking and it did not disappoint.  Our local farmers along with local gardeners are out planting!  So refreshing to have outdoor activities going on again after a long and intense winter.

Our oldest granddaughter, Grace, is a pharmacy Intern in their city while she attends college to become a pharmacist.  When Vice President Pence came to Des Moines yesterday to meet with leaders, etc., she was given a shout out by him for her outstanding service to those who come to the pharmacy.   We were able to see it on video as the media covered his visit.  She not only volunteers to deliver the prescriptions to the vulnerable but she offers to bring them groceries so they don't have to go out!  This kind act may not be new to her, but getting a shout out by the VP and applause in gratitude was a nice surprise.  Way to go Grace!

Speaking of doing things for others, don't you love the videos online that share uplifting stories of how so many people are responding to help in times of great need.  I love seeing the good come out in people....Another story that made Joel and I smile this week was when the new Gerber Baby was revealed.  Sweet Magnolia came to her family through adoption.  She is the cutest baby!!!  It was great fun to watch their interview on morning news.  Just had to share her picture!  Can you resist smiling at this charming face?


Our neighbor has cats.  These are indoor cats that have the house to themselves except at night when the neighbor comes home from his office.  We have not seen his cats except for one.  The one who continues to escape whenever the opportunity arises.  When a chance to escape comes up, he is out the door and then takes off.  For parts unknown?  Nope.  He just likes to get out, survey his environment and grab some fresh air before coming back to what he knows.  I think for this particular cat he just does not want anyone telling him no.  Maybe his thinking is, "Well, if I am not supposed to go out there then there must be something I am missing so I am going to get out any chance I can."  Maybe it is just, "You are not the boss of me!"  Of course we don't know what the cat is thinking, but we certainly do get a good chuckle watching our neighbor attempt to coax the cat back into his home.  And.........I can't help but relate this to some people's reactions to the shelter at home ~ quarantine "orders" from Governors.  "You are not the boss of me!

Joel is still working on his large wood project.  He is still able to get in some biking, too.  He has been catching up on connecting with family and friends and office "work".  That work may involve writing more on his book, taking care of finances or just playing a game of spider solitaire! 

I have been working on a puzzle, reading, writing, walking, and baking Joel oatmeal cookies this week. Let's not forget texting, scrolling, and talking on the phone to friends and family.  Yay for phones!!!!  And you?  How are you filling your days this week?!?!?! 



Tomorrow is Mother's Day!  My mother died many years ago now at the age 92.  I was blessed to have two older sisters who mothered me too.  They each played a role in raising me, and for that I am so grateful.  For the first time ever I did not get any Mother's Day cards purchased to send out to loved ones.  We decided going to a store and handling all the cards others have handled was not a good idea in this season of Covid-19.  Today I am wishing all of you women, whether you are mothers or not, a Blessed Mother's Day!  It is in us to nurture others and that nurturing instinct makes us all mothers.  God be with you, bless you, and bring you His peace and only He can. 

On this day I am grateful for Mothers everywhere.  For my mom Ann, for those who mothered me, Jo and Jan, for our daughters and daughter-in-law, all mothers themselves, for Kay and Janelle as sisters and moms.  For too many to name in my life who make me proud to be a mom.  I am grateful for our children.  How blessed I am to be their mom.  Grateful, yes.

Enjoy your weekend!

2 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Dear Renee, So good to get caught up! I love it that you were able to go to a lake and enjoy walking in the rain. I used to dance in the rain too, when I was high school/college age. What a nice tribute to your mom and sisters. My mom passed when I was almost 22 and we weren't very close, but my older sister of 13 years took over in my life. Actually she had always had a vital roll in raising me. She passed 15 years ago; I was able to be more of a mom to her at that point. My dear sister in law also did a great job when I needed her. I am blessed with my two daughters and their large families-we will see them both tomorrow.
Sending big hugs and blessings your way.
Noreen

Renee said...

Thank you for sharing some of your story with me. We both have been blessed by older siblings.
And thanks for coming by to visit my cyber home. Hope your Mother's Day was great! We zoomed with most of our children. It was fun to connect even if it was only virtually.