Saturday, May 16, 2020

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday Morning to you from our home here in northern Iowa where sunshine and warm temps will eventually give way to rain.  Next week we are supposed to reach 82 degrees!   Everything is blooming and beautiful here in the Midwest.  Loving it!

Apple blossoms

Speaking of blooming and beautiful, we went to our large city park this past week and enjoyed a walk outside.  Walking meant dodging all the goose poop on the paths since the geese families are out in abundance!  Joel took a number of pictures so thought I would share a few here.

Morning dew on tulips

A Fernleaf peony

East Park Trees

A family "stroll"

Joel is off riding on this beautiful morning. His usual road free bike path is being worked on so he is finding creative ways to ride his 10 miles without spending too much time on local streets.  A recumbent rides closer to the ground, but he has a flag and bright blinking lights, plus he wears red or bright yellow so he can be seen.  No blending in when you are on a bike and cars are sharing your space!  Joel has been weeding this week, and our latest plan is to grow green string beans in a large container on our back deck.  Anything we plant in the yard is subject to deer, so we are trying to be creative here!  My nephew Bill and his wife Deb built a trellis for their green beans and cucumbers to grow on in quite a narrow space.  It got me thinking about growing something more than beans.....cucs?  We really don't eat enough tomatoes to grow our own, but if you do, a great idea are the hanging baskets of cherry tomatoes!  What a novel idea...........

Last Sunday night, Mother's Day, we were able to Zoom with 4 of our 5 kids.  It was great fun to see their faces.  They love to bring up old stories from their childhood and one that comes up periodically has to do with dad's cooking.  One event stands out clearly in their minds.  I was back in MN for a funeral and Joel had the four kids (at that time).  One day he got the idea to pick wild asparagus in the Montana ditches and take everything else in the fridge and mix it together into some kind of hotdish.  (If  you live somewhere besides the Midwest you probably would call it a casserole.)  From what the kids tell me it was t.e.r.r.i.b.l.e. and evidently they were traumatized by it!  Ha....  That brought up the years I tried to get them to eat fried liver and onions.  Now according to them it was years but I am pretty sure it was only a couple of times!  Maybe......  They also separate the years in half....before mom got into healthy eating...........and after............when all sugared cereals and white bread and rice disappeared from our cupboards and they were deprived of store bought cookies!  "Before" brings up "wonderful days gone by" and also mom drinking more than her share of Tab and RC Cola...........my glory days?!#@! I'm a pure water girl now!

Speaking of cooking, I am back to the kitchen 75% of the time for meals.  This is a bit of an adjustment for my hubby since we are different kind of cooks.  He cleans up as he goes along while his wife is a messy cook and cleans up after the meal has been consumed! The stove gets dirty, the counters, and sometimes the floor.   I also tend to burn things,  Yup.  Especially toast.  Now, I don't mind it burnt a bit, but Joel struggles with dark toast...........so we both have learned the art of compromise like all couples and I am intentional to not burn his toast and he is intentional to not clean up after me until after supper!  Isn't love grand?!?!

Did any of you see the special last night on virtual videos during the shelter at home journey?  It was great to see how creative people can be and laughter is such good medicine!

As I close this week's scribbles, I can't help but express gratitude for Spring, the beauty of flowers and fresh air, and the laughter enjoyed as our kids bantered with us on Mother's Day.  So grateful for a social distance visit with our two neighbor's Susan and June, and a few phone conversations with family and friends.  Grateful for biking and walking outdoors.  Grateful for the man that sits at my table, holds my hand, share my bed, laughs and cries with me, prays with me.  A true soulmate that I am forever humbled too call my cowboy preacher.  Okay, enough of the mushy stuff.  Grateful this day to be alive!  You too?

Enjoy your weekend!


No comments: