Friday, December 2, 2011

Waiting With Anticipation

"I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living!  Wait for the Lord. Be strong and let your heart take courage.  Wait for the Lord!"
Psalm 27: 13, 14 (ESV)

Advent is a time to prepare for the coming of baby Jesus.  It is a time of waiting.  As we enter into the second week of this tradition, I have been reflecting on all the waiting we do in our lives.  We feel it is a time of doing nothing, but waiting is after all a verb.  And in our relationship with God it is an action we are called to take as part of our faith journey.

When our children were young they would be so excited for Christmas. Every day the waiting seemed endless and it felt like that special day would never come!  Even though our focus was on the Christ Child, there was anticipation for Christmas morning when they would be able to open their gifts.  It was soooo hard to wait.

Sometimes I find myself in the same place as my children so many years ago.  Waiting impatiently to open a few of my gifts from our Lord...waiting for my prayers to be answered.....waiting for healing to take place....waiting for God's promises to come to pass.  Sometimes I wait with anticipation, but often I wait with impatience, which makes the journey much less joyful.  It is hard to wait.

I wonder if God gets impatient waiting for us.  Waiting for us to come to Him in prayer....waiting for us to surrender to His will....waiting for us to be still in His presence....read His word....obey His commands.  I think God has a lot more patience than we do!  He lovingly waits with open arms, a listening ear, and a loving heart for us, His children to come to Him.  I wonder if He ever finds it hard to wait.

Lord, forgive me for keeping you waiting....


Please stop over and visit Charlotte at Spiritual Sundays to read inspirational posts or link up your own.

7 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

I often wait impatiently, too. I'm thankful the Lord is a lot more patient with me than I am with Him!

Elaine said...

I am also impatient:( I am so very thankful that God is always there waiting for me to return to HIM!

Thanks for sharing Renee.

Blessings.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I don't like waiting either but there's so much of life that I have to just wait. Thanks for your words...Hope you have a great weekend.

Charlotte said...

Seems like I'm always waiting for something. Since the time passes by a little faster each year I don't have to wait long for anything. Maybe I'm just learning a little patience. lol
Thank you for sharing this timely post.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for the Sandwich Generation said...

I get so impatient as well and then God reminds me of all the positive things that come from the waiting, like a dear friend who was just baptized! Joy unspeakable, that wouldn't have happened if things had moved on my timetable. You'd think after 55+ years I'd be better at this but I'm still a work in progress as well. :) Have a blessed week!

Rina Peru said...

Your thoughts reflect mine. Sometimes I am still and wait patiently with hope, joy and great anticipation, then, it wanes and I grow impatient and unpersevering. I thank the Lord He is ALWAYS patient with me.

You have a lovely Christmas theme. Have a blessed week,
Rina

Sherry Southard said...

I Love the scripture that says "he who waits upon the Lord will soar as wings of an eagle." It teaches me how important it is to be patient.