Monday, April 23, 2012

MBM: Skunks, An Ambulance Ride And New Siding!



Looking back and remembering...God's faithfulness....God's provision....God's love.....that is what Memorial Box Monday posts are all about.  Linny over at A Place Called Simplicity created Memorial Box Mondays, so stop over and read others stories or link up your own.


This week I am sharing about something that happened just a few years ago.  Joel and I were in a car accident in June of 2007.  We were going 55mph on a country road when a family of skunks crossed in front of us and we had to brake hard.  A pickup pulling an end loader was following us too close and hit us from behind.  We ended up on individual stretchers holding hands in an ambulance as we were transported to a nearby hospital.  We were both okay, although Joel had some minor neck injuries.  But it seems this was not the first time this driver had been ticketed for driving too close and about three month after the accident we received a call that his insurance company wanted to "settle" with us.

Settle?
Settle what?

It seems they were afraid we were going to sue them since this was the second accident this driver had been in with the company truck.  They knew something could come up later medically, so they did not want us to come back later and sue them for damages.  We assured them we were not going to sue anybody. They  just kept asking us how much we wanted to close things out.  We finally talked to someone with knowledge and they told us what was the "usual" settlement in this kind of situation, so we went ahead and they sent us a check.

Let me backtrack a little.  Our home was in need of siding.. it was beyond time! Some of the siding was actually rotten when we bought the house and we had financial difficulties that popped up that made it impossible for us to be able to afford to fix it right away, but it needed to be done ASAP.  All of a sudden we had an unexpected blessing with this settlement we did not pursue ~ and we were able to side the house!  Joel was also able to build a porch on the front which we use all the time.  In fact I don't think I would want a house without a porch ever again.


What we went through that day was stressful, but with the new siding and porch we are able to focus on the blessings that came from it.  I don't believe God orchestrated the accident, that is NOT God, but God used it for good answering our prayers for new siding in such a round about way, and like I said, working all things out for good...even an accident that sent us both to the hospital in our first (and hopefully last) ambulance ride!

7 comments:

Alisha said...

What a title for this Memorial Box Monday, Renee! It made me laugh. When I clicked on the link and saw it was you I had to smile :)

I'm so thankful you and Joel were ok in the accident. What a very unexpected blessing to be able to fix the siding and put on a porch! I love seeing God's grace in unusual places and ways. Like with me being sick, I know He's been protecting me and looking out for me through it all. God is so good and He really does work it although for our good. Amen. Thank you again for your prayers, really thank you.

Christy said...

God certainly works in mysterious ways. Great story!!

Elaine said...

I'm so glad that was not today! Yikes. I had all sorts of thoughts going through my mind when I saw the title....

So happy you were so blessed! God is so good to us. Even in times of trials, HE is there, waiting to bless us:)

Thanks for the reminder Renee.

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your accident, but how wonderful to see a blessing come from it. My husband and I can relate to this. When we were in the midst of our adoption and had no idea where the money would come from, my husband was rear ended on the freeway. Although he was hurt and needed surgery on his arm, the Lord used the money offered to help provide for our adoption.

Gayle said...

What an unexpected blessing! Sometimes when bad happens I pray for the Lord to make it a blessing someway, somehow and you know it often does happen like that. I am a believer in "declaring a blessing" over a bad situation. I've had several of the experiences like you described. Once when our children were small and we were so poor, we were caught in a hail storm. We ended up being able to pay the car off with the settlement! It had dings, but it was paid for. I am so glad you were able to have this become a blessing.

Anita Johnson said...

I have been so busy reading your posts ( your stories are truly inspirational, though I'm so sorry for the loss of your son and your health issues) that I almost forgot to leave this comment. You were the winner on my 1,000 posts celebration! I would be honored to send you a framed 8x10 picture of your choosing from the photos on my blog. My email address is on my profile, I look forward to hearing from you!

Aubrey Mullins said...

I like how you try to see the good in everything, Renee. It is a lot easier to focus on the bad things that happen to us. But that is why we fail to see the good things that also come with them. As they say, everything happens for a reason. Maybe we just need to look harder for that reason, or wait for it to be revealed. In your case, the reason was so you could get new siding and a porch! Hope you keep that optimism always.