Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Finding Balance


Like most of you, we are trying to find the balance between the extremes..... raiding the store shelves of toilet paper vs partying on Florida's open beaches.  America (and the world) is in a serious crisis. The results of this pandemic are far beyond our understanding.  Everything is continually changing and it is making people desperate, frustrated, fearful, angry, and more.

I am going to be blunt here.  It sickens me that when our President calls this pandemic the "Chinese Virus" it gives people who carry the spirit of stupid the idea that they can attack Chinese Americans.  There is no logic in this.  It sickens me that people hoard all the hand sanitizers with the idea of selling it for exuberant prices. .....and toilet paper?  Don't get me started!  The spirit of stupid and greed.  Yes, a situation like this brings out the worst in some people but it also brings out the best!

It encourages me to see people treating others with love and kindness.  People watching over their elderly neighbors, praying for others, checking in on each other.  This is what America can be.  Should be.  Pointing the finger at one race of people will not solve this problem.  Hoarding or price gouging will not help people or help solve this problem.  Ignoring the warnings will not help our country.

Siblings playing music for their
elderly neighbor who is self isolating.  Wonderful!

I confess that the need to stay informed is also increasing anxiety levels.  I think this week filled to overflowing on daily and sometimes hourly changes makes it really hard to keep our focus on the One.  Our decisions have even changed just from Monday when I went in for an assessment for physical therapy and set up a month's worth of treatments.  I was told by the two therapists that when I came for the bi-weekly sessions I was to walk straight back to the room which would already be sanitized and ready for me.  They did not want me sitting with the general population in the waiting room.  This did not register so much with me until yesterday's appointment for an eye injection.  When the doctor finished I left the room ahead of Joel.  The nurse stopped him and quietly told him, "Take care of her, she is high risk".  So, if I am at risk, how many more are at a higher risk?  In some ways we are all at risk!  This morning our dentist's office called and cancelled Joel's crown appointment for the end of March.  Nothing rescheduled for now.  Things were adding up quickly so Joel and I discussed our action plans and I also cancelled my next weeks appointments.

Each of us are probably doing the same dance, as we try to find the balance in every area of our lives.  For some of you, your employers have been told to shut down.  For others on the front lines ( and yes this is a war) you are concerned for your own health and the health of your loved ones as you fight hard to save lives, protect the public, calm peoples fears.  How do we even grocery shop when shelves and pocketbooks may be empty and the virus grows ?  Stores are working hard to keep shelves stocked and many are opening stores from 7-8 for those who are the most vulnerable, but people are scared.   Oh, Jesus, fill us with your peace.

What can we do when the world as we have always known it has turned upside down?  Hang on tight to the One.  Find your balance and take a deep breath.  One pastor suggested limited coverage on screens, more time spent going for a walk outside, listening to music, calling loved ones, praying, reading God's Word.  These kinds of intentional activities definitely will help us find balance.  And that would be a good "find" wouldn't it!

No comments: