Wednesday, December 9, 2020

She Will Be Greatly Missed

 


Joey and Me

On December first my sister Joanne (Joey to me) went home to be with Jesus.  On that day we lost an amazing woman to complications from heart disease.  She fought a hard battle to stay here with all those she loved, but at age 87 her body just gave out. Oh, how we will miss this fun, strong, opinionated, loving woman who was passionate about her faith, her family, and her politics!

My sisters Jan, Joey, and Me

Joey, Grandma Jo to my children,  was 15 years older than me while my sister Jan is 11 years older. Joey held a unique place in my life.  When I was in 4th grade I moved in with her and her family the first time and spent several months there while my mom was battling alcoholism.  I lived with my mom in 5th grade but it was not going well, so when I was 12 I moved back into Joey's family, living there until I went off to Bible College, and in 1968 married Joel.  Her kids were close to me in age with the oldest only three years younger than me, so I became the oldest of the five of us and they became my siblings.  I am forever grateful to God for adding them into my life.  Those years not only brought me sisters and brothers whom I cherish, but a firm foundation of faith and the security of a family that I needed.  

Renee, Kay, Dick, Janelle, and Todd

The five of us with Joey


She loved her kids, grandkids, great grandkids and great-great grands very much and liked to call each of them on their birthdays to sing her special song.  She kept in touch as much as she could with the family through cards, phone calls, and texting.  She was always interested in where they were going and what they were doing.  She prayed for them and spent a good deal of time bragging about them!

Love this taken so many years ago of Gr Jo
surrounded by grandkids

In this time of Covid, there will be no funeral.  The plan is for a celebration of life next Spring ~ hopefully around her birthday, since that was a time she liked to gather her family over the years.  So today we grieve the death of Gr. Jo with hope.  We grieve with hope because we know that we will see her again, because we know that she is with Jesus.  And we grieve her death with gratitude for having her in our lives.  If this past year has not taught us anything, I pray it has taught us how important relationships are, how precious life is, and how much love brings us together.  

We called her Joey, sister, mom, friend, Gr. Jo, GiGi
You are loved and will be missed


No comments: