Wednesday, October 27, 2021

The Journey

 

As I watched a woman speak about her journey with breast cancer this morning on the Today show,  I was reminded once again of my own journey, and that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.  There are over 300,000 women every year diagnosed with breast cancer, and one out of five are under the age of 49.  Those numbers are staggering.  And the answers to why are not forthcoming. With detection and treatments the number that die from this disease has gone down over the years, but there are just too many women...........too many.  

In my family, my mom, Gr. Jo, and my sister have all been diagnosed.  And of course me.  My mom was 70 and lived to be 92.  Gr. Jo was 60 and lived to be 87.  My sister's diagnosis was the "best case scenario" for breast cancer and she is cancer free for several years now.  My diagnosis of breast cancer at age 67 was said to have an "excellent prognosis" and yet just three years later l was diagnosed with a more aggressive and advanced form of breast cancer in the same breast.  As you know a double mastectomy and chemo and radiation followed. 

I have shared much of my journey here, but today when I heard other women, 20-30 years younger than me, talk about the hard journey beyond the treatments and surgeries, it brought to mind so much of what I, too, have and am going through.  One woman said, "Going through surgery and treatment is just the beginning for most. There is no roadmap." 

Being honest here, this past year has been very challenging with my reactions to the arimidex, the brain MRI, endoscopy and colonoscopy, and CT scan with contrast to "rule out" cancer for the "new" symptoms I experienced.  They are always looking and I am always holding my breath until the results come in.  And now one more challenge...........lymphedema....another chronic illness as a result of the treatments,  in a body that has fought hard to survive. 

Every day is different in how I feel physically.  Every day is different in the how medication affects me in body, mind and emotions.  Every day is spent with the reminders of what I have been through.  The scars, disfigurement, compression sleeves, meds and vitamin routine, exhaustion, and other side effects that ebb and flow are all a daily reminder.  

In the segment I watched today one young woman was diagnosed a second time now with metastatic breast cancer and yet she appeared so calm and at peace.  When asked about how she handled what was happening to her she said, "Cancer stole enough from me, I am not letting it steal anymore of my life."  

So, why do I share this today?  Because we women ( and some men) have a choice BEFORE cancer ever would come knocking.  GET a mammogram....a 3D mammogram.  And if any of us have a family history?  Get a MRI of your breasts.  Stay on the offensive because the sooner you are diagnosed, the better it is for us.  W need to take care of our bodies the best we can.  Friends, during October, of which few days remain, do something for yourselves.  Get examined.  Get tested.  Be proactive.  

Remember, breast cancer and the treatments don't just take from you..........they take from the ones you love, too.  Think about your family, your loved ones, your future and be proactive.

I am still learning how to live this life after BC.  After 4 battles with cancer, it is hard not to see it as a Goliath in my life.  But then David was a young teenage boy and took down Goliath with one smooth small stone.  The truth of that story is that David listened to GOD and trusted God to provide what he needed.  And He did.   Every day I wake up and decide how to live for the day ahead.  Don't we all?  Some days I live well, other days, not so much but I am working on not letting how I feel physically determine my level of joy for a new day.  AND I remember that I am never alone.   Cancer has taken away enough of my life, too, and yes, there may be no roadmap, but there is a guide as I move forward, as we all move forward in our journeys.  He is the One who is a "lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path, " and with Jesus I can live my best life.  We all can.  

No comments: