Saturday, October 1, 2022

Saturday's Scribbles

 


Good Saturday on this first day of October!  This is pretty much my favorite month of the year regarding nature and all its beauty.  The leaves are starting to turn and some have even let go and are blanketing yards.  Our mums are blooming and our one geranium plant is still gracing us with a vibrant red as we sit on the porch.  The air is crisp in the morning but the sun is still warm when you bask in it.  And basking in it for a minimum of 15 minutes a day is what health experts tell us is necessary.  Ducks are starting to fly south and yesterday as Joel was porch sitting a flock of migrating robins came through. Last Sunday afternoon we drove 35 minutes to a pumpkin patch on a farm.  It was a bit disappointing for me, but we did see a few goats and chickens and little kids have a great time!  It was definitely a place for kids.  We ended up at a local market here in town where we bought two pumpkins and some gourds...and one yummy squash.

Porch Pumpkins

Gourds

Speaking of Fall, we have noticed our neighbors, including ourselves, have started to get those projects done that are needed before the snow comes.  It is also great biking and walking weather and paths are a place to greet others as they enjoy Fall.  For us it has been dry, with cool mornings and temps around 68 in the afternoons.  Just perfect.  And it is a perfect day for Joel to be off at Rendezvous Days about an hour from here in southern Minnesota.  His one day a year to enjoy all the creative experiences that go along with this 3 day event.  He goes for Saturday and comes home at night smelling like wood smoke, having eaten more than his fill of good things while watching the events of the day and listening to music, etc.  

Speaking of weather we cannot help but be aware of what has happened in Florida and now South Carolina.  Such devastation.  It will take years to reconstruct and will those who lived through the hurricane ever fully recover from the trauma?  We pray so.  The typhoons we went through in the Philippines were minor in comparison but I can remember the anxiety as the winds rose and the rain came so fast we had water coming into the house.  Joel was off working as a weather forecaster on the base on Thanksgiving when the worst one hit.  Our maid Amphy and myself stood each at a door with a broom and swept the water back out as it came in like a hose under the door,  Action and prayers were both necessary, and to be honest most of our experiences in The Philippines required action and prayer.  Not a bad combination.  Back to those affected by Hurricane Ian......you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Speaking of prayers, there were a lot of those last week as we waited for the results of an ultrasound after my oncologist felt something she could not define.  I got in right away for the test, but had to wait  4 days for the results as my doctor was out of the office.  My Oncologist is very thorough which means I have a "love-hate" relationship with her.  So thankful she checks out everything and so annoyed that she checks out everything.  Ha.....   I did okay until the woman taking the test asked me if it was me or the Dr. who felt the "lump"......guess that was written on the chart? I guess the word "lump" was hard to hear.  The test only took 10 minutes which was really fast.  I expressed that and the woman said, "Oh I "found it" right away!"  Found what???  Right??  I talked myself down off the ledge a few times by remembering the words God sent me on Facebook that spoke of God already being at work.  I just needed to trust and rest in knowing that.  Yeah.....He is a good good Father.  Always with me no matter what comes my way.  With GOOD results(a lymph node surrounded by scar tissue) we have been praying a lot of gratitude prayers that all is well.  In fact an x-ray taken showed the ribs to be healed and the blood work this time was great.  Iron levels excellent even with 1/2 the dose so we have been celebrating the good news and after 2 and 1/2 years of appointments every 3-4 months I am going now in 6 months.  Yippee!  Over the past year I have really come to appreciate each morning I get up and hear Joel say, "Morning, Missy" Isn't life precious?!  

Getting back to Ian hitting Florida and South Carolina, I texted a friend whom I met while living in the Philippines in 1974-76.  They live in South Carolina and were going to be hit by the force of Ian.  Seems she had suffered a heart attack recently.  She was recovering, thank God, and my mind could not help but go back to our time together.  We called each other "sisters in Christ" and even though I have not hugged her in person since the day we said good-bye at the airport, we will hug some day~!  As I have been writing about our two years there lately, I can only reiterate once again on how much those two years impacted our lives.  So blessed and grateful for the people we met, the experiences we had, the family we grew. 

Speaking of family I realized this week that three of our kids were married in October.  Happy Anniversary to all three couples!  May you be blessed with many many more years to come!  Happy Birthday to a granddaughter too.  Celebrations can be a daily occurrence when you add in anniversaries, birthdays, good medical reports, graduations, confirmations, and so much more!  Ha  

So today I am giving thanks that Joel is off at Rendezvous Days having a great time, that the weather is perfect for Fall, the oncology work up was all good news, biking and walking is still part of our days, October is here, pumpkins sit on the porch, bread is rising, birds are migrating, projects are getting done, Fall meals are on the menu, Florida and South Carolina are beginning their recovery, my friend H. is recovering, phone calls, texts, and communication with family is ongoing, and just so much more!

Enjoy your weekend!






No comments: