Saturday, April 27, 2024

Saturday's Scribbles

It is the last Saturday in April, a warm day after plenty of rain yesterday and last night.  We have need of the rain so no complaints there.  We also avoided tornados yesterday...there were at least 10 in central Iowa.  As far as rain goes, a couple good "soakers" would be great for our parched planting soil.  Our grass is green,though, the trees are leafing out.  Our resident duck couple has been settling in the neighborhood.  

Speaking of grass, Joel has been raking and fertilizing before Friday's rain.  He's gotten in a couple bike rides and met with his colleagues.  Wednesday night he was at church.   This Sunday he fills in for a vacationing pastor here in town.   It's at a church he served and we attended for 10 years.   

Joel finished self-publishing with Amazon his second book, "Fencepost Theology ", " a practical understanding of God,  the world,  and ourselves ".  Of course I'm prejudice,  but I think it's a great read! One of the sermons he gave to a group of pastors during his year of Internship was called "Fencepost Theology ".  His Internship pastor thought Joel should write a book about it....and 40+ yrs later he did!  

After a week of challenging symptoms once again, I can say that even with the pain I still walk, clean, cook, bake and get out of the house once in awhile.  And I have taken two trips to nearby states.  Regarding the walking, as I have shared before, years ago Holy whispered to me....'Walk out your healing".  And I did walk out of Lyme!  Because of his instructions I still walk 99 % of my days...mostly 25 minutes with a few 30 minutes of walking thrown in recently.  Sometimes I can only walk 10 and then rest...and walk 10 more, etc. but I still walk.  My doctor appointments have all been good this year but the joint and neuropathy pain continuue to speak loudly.   Energy is okay, balance is challenging.  Sure at times I get discouraged and sad at the losses that have occured, BUT I am still here and spending my days and nights with my amazing hubby.....who just published his second book....Did I mention that?  haha  

Often I mention that when I go to heaven I am going to work in the bakery.....eating my way through all the delicious rolls, donuts, breads I can't eat here.......but lately I have been thinking my passion really is writing so I would love to be writing in Heaven..and living near a bakery!  HA!  I expect there will be plenty to do in Heaven, but I am thinking that it will be filled with what we love most.....besides Jesus....I am thinking, people....pets.....foods.....music....worship..... I CAN ONLY IMAGINE!

I have been listening to the biography, "Romney:  The Reckoning" by McKay Coppins.  I like to read about people whom I am curious about.....I have listened to Michelle Obama's book, Barbara Bush, Laura Bush, and now Romney.  They have all been intersting reads.  I usually listen to an audiobook while I walk in the house.  We have watched the usual shows this week but one night I found a movie that was supposed to be a comedy/drama....with Maggie Smith and Kathy Bates...."The Miracle Club".  British....There was NO comedy....it was dark, depressing, and only redeemable the last 5 minutes.  So, if you are looking for a movie to make you laugh?  This is NOT it.

Tomorrow would be my sister Jo, Gr. Jo to our kids, birthday.  She would be 91.  I expect she will be celebrating in Heaven...although I am not sure we keep aging when given eternal life!  She was strong minded, sometimes short tempered, passionate about her beliefs whether politics or God and absolutely over the top in love, protective, and proud of her family.  She had a delightful, memorable laugh and the most beautiful eyes....she was just plain beautiful, once mistaken for Elizabeth Taylor at Mayo Clinic in MN.  She helped raise me...taking me in under her wings and into her home for much of my childhood.  So grateful.  And miss her so much.  Happy Birthday Joey!  

This day I am grateful for Joey and her love and passion for life.  Grateful for Joel's second book coming out!  So good!  Grateful for the rain that is much needed.  Grateful for our resident ducks coming "home" again.  Grateful to still be here.  Grateful for being able to walk.  Grateful for Joel's bike rides.  Grateful for watching a grand play softball on my phone.  Grateful for resolved "challenges" for friends and family.  Grateful for texts, photos, and phone calls.....and so much more.

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: