Saturday, August 10, 2024

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you from our corner of Iowa as we dip down into cooler temperatures. What a change from the heat and humidity. It's nice to have the windows and doors open and get some fresh air inside. Our plants are still blooming quite well except for our geranium which was completely eaten by a rabbit. A very bold stinky rabbit who actually hopped up into the planter and sat sunning himself after he had leveled everything in there. Joel caught the culprit when he went out to do some porch sitting.  So annoying. We also had a deer try to get to the hostas that we had fenced in the backyard.  The deer pulled the fencing down and dragged it across into the neighbor's yard!  Determination to get to the plants I guess. I donn't get it because they're not starving this time of year. That's nature for you, you can't really control it only so much. Hmmm.......Just like all of life!

It has been another quiet week here in our little corner of the world, except for Joel's colonoscopy procedure on Tuesday. All things were good there. He was back to normal the next day.  I saw the chiropractor on Thursday and had a painful treatment. Not sure why but a few of my ribs were out of alignment and he uses an activator to help me and not usually manual adjustments.  Otherwise we have been in our usual routine except for watching a lot of the Olympics. 

Speaking of Olympics there has been a few surprises this week with those who are winning gold or any medal at all. I think I have enjoyed women's beach volleyball and gymnastics the most but we've taken in everything a little bit, even break dancing briefly.  Really?? What is break dancing doing in the Olympics! I did take in a tense encounter between one of the Brazilian and one Canadian during a beach volleyball match. Anyway, I look at how strong the athletes all are and I'm absolutely amazed at what their bodies do for them.  And we are quite impressed at how much time, effort,  eand energy is put into these athletes from a young age as they push forward in determination and  effort to reach a goal like this ~~a goal to win a gold medal. It sometimes baffles me because I wonder what it would be like if we took the perseverance of these athletes and applied it to any and all areas of life.   What gives some such focus and determination and others not so much.  What do you need inside to have the determination and the perseverance and how many of us already have that but haven't tapped into it.  I guess what I am saying is that we have what it takes in us to walk through life but so often we don't realize it.  

Speaking of doing life, Joel has been making another folding table with leftover wood this week.  I asked him why he was making another one and he said. "For fun".  Well, that make sense doesn't it. He loves woodwworking.   He has been biking most days and is keeping the yard up.  He'll preach at two churches again tomorrow.  I have been walking, reading and sorting book articles I've written, and managed to bake some again.  I finally used up the blueberries!  I have read recently how important blueberries are for our health.  I do eat them most every day in plain yogurt. We eat a lot of plain yogurt here...organic, icelandic, and greek.  It is high in protein and a quick meal.....we also add banana, maybe strawberries, and some kind of nut.....like walnuts, cashews, almonds.....We are never without them.

Time is passing, so will end my Scribbles with things I am grateful for.   Grateful for you all who grace me with your presence,  Grateful for blueberriess, yogurts, full cupboads and fridge.  Grateful for biking, walking, and daily routines and activities.  Grateful for Joel's procedure going well,  Grateful for Danny driving us to and from the surgical center.  Grateful for the chiro and the lower back being so good.  Grateful for the Olympics and all different sports to watch.  Grateful for nature and all the animal " stinkers" that invade our space.  Grateful for phone calls, texts, pictures, and emails.  Grateful for all this and so much more.......

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: