Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thankful Thursday Thoughts

Today is my mother-in-love's 92nd birthday. I must be honest and confess that I did not always think of her that way. She and I were at odds over the years due to probably nothing more than her son being my husband. She did not understand me, and I did not understand her nor take her suggestions or at times criticisms very well. I built a wall between us. Distance in miles and differences kept us apart. Then a miracle happened.

About 10 years ago I started writing a newsletter for Chronically Ill Christians. I managed to send this out to around 145 people for close to 5 yrs before I became to sick to continue. My MIL was one of those I sent it to. It changed our relationship as she began to know and understand me. As I began to let down the walls I had built up and I learned to understand and accept our differences, we became closer than I ever thought possible. At this time in our lives I can easily say I love her dearly and she ends our conversations by saying she loves me. Isn't God's healing power amazing!

So, today, I give thanks for the woman who birthed my husband, and taught him about our Lord. I give thanks for the years she worked hard to help her husband maintain their farm, and then sustained her three boys by teaching school when her husband died young. I give thanks for what she has taught me about faith, endurance, and "cutting corners" to save a few pennies. I give thanks that she tells us in every conversation that she is praying for us!

Happy Birthday Mom T. !! May your year be filled with an abundance of blessings.

2 comments:

Jan Lyn said...

How touching Renee and somewhat familiar to me as well. I know in our almost 25 years God has also granted me and my MIL a deeper love and a good part through shared suffering experiences. He is good. What a nice tribute to her--I enjoyed it, and 92 is an amazing blessing!

Renee said...

Hi JAn Lyn
Thank you......Yest 92 is a good age...she thinks it is young since her oldest sister is 103 and second oldest sister is 96! Amazing.