Friday, August 11, 2017

Defining Normal



Joel and I are reading aloud the book, "The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind" by Pastor Bill Johnson.  It has given us a new perspective on the definition of "normal Christianity".  Always love the way God opens our eyes to more of Him.

I remember when we told a friend about our adventure in healing and speaking in tongues.  My friend's hubby replied...'Well, that is just a little to the right of crazy, isn't it."  It was just not normal in his mind.  We had a good chuckle over that and have used the term ourselves....cuz we have observed things that made us feel that same way.   What is normal to one is not necessarily normal to another!

Have you heard of the book, "Hillbilly Eulogy"  by J.D. Vance? I had to be put on a waiting list to get the book from our local library.  As I read into the book, I found it  not to my liking so I did not finish it.  I did think about Vance growing up in a hillbilly culture, though, and how our environment defines what is normal and familiar for us, at least until we observe something different.

Normal:  it used to describe a setting on our clothes dryers .........until computers and sensors made our washer and dryers into amazing machines.  Remember when it was normal to have a phone attached to the wall, when you had to get up to turn the TV channel?  Back in the day,  no one could comprehend soaring through the air.  I am sure that many thought the Wright brothers were just a little to the right of crazy!  And maybe they were.  Stepping out of the box moves us forward!

Lets look at our bodies.  When I was so very ill, walking across the room or up the stairs was exhausting for me.  My body adjusted and pretty much was comfortable with being so sick.  Then I was healed of Lyme and I started to walk....5 minutes...  10 minutes was a major milestone for me. The body had to be coaxed back to life.  Exercising then became normal to the point where if I don't walk daily I feel sluggish and out of sorts.   My body's perspective of normal has shifted.  It is still a work in progress, but walking is normal now.  Thank God.

So all this to contemplate that what Jesus commands in the Bible..........GO preach the gospel, heal the sick, cast out demons, raise the dead, speak in new tongues................I am thinking that these commands from Jesus are to be followed and defined as normal Christianity.  The supernatural power of God for us is normal.  It is food for thought.  Bringing the kingdom to earth....."They kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven".  Yeah.  On earth.  Wouldn't it be amazing if we saw the works of Jesus come through us..........remember He lives IN us..........remember He said we would do greater things than He did with Holy Spirit in us.....Normal Christianity.  Wow.  Just sayin'

No comments: