Monday, March 26, 2018

Saturday Surprises!

Saturday was filled with surprises!  We woke up to 17 and 1/2 inches of snow!  Come back Spring!!!
The second big surprise was a birthday party my sweet hubby had secretly planned for me.  The weather kept a few from coming but Saturday was a great day filled with laughter, stories, and family.  All my sisters were able to come and BIL Dan was here too.

Joel had hoped to keep it all a secret but he was so disappointed with the weather that I knew something was wrong.  So with a shaky voice and tears he told me he had planned a surprise party but the weather was not cooperating,  Can I just say how much I love this man?

Kay, Jo, Renee, Janelle, Jan

It has been forever since my sisters were all here together.  As I have shared some before, I have a unique family.  I have my two older sisters who both helped raise me in our home and later in their homes.  My dad died when I was nearly 7 and mom was battling alcoholism during my childhood.  I was parented by my oldest sister Jo and her husband Dick for 8 years in her home, and before that my next older sister Jan took care of me at times.  My sister Jo took me in and her 4 kids (very close to my age) became my siblings)  Not everyone understands it, and they don't need to.  It worked well for me.  My sister Jan has been a bright shining star in my life.  She has a loving and kind spirit and as Joel says, "See's the sunshine in every day".    Kay and Janelle have been an important part of my life, and our two brothers too.  I have been blessed.

But not more blessed than when God placed Joel into my life.  I am so grateful for the man he is.  Faithful to God and to me, caring, joyful, loving, solid.  He was so determined that this party be about "me" and bring joy into my life, celebrating 70 years on earth.  My journey to 70 has had several challenges, like most of us, and he wanted this to be a party I would remember.  I was completly clueless with all the planning he did.  No idea that he invited people, organized and ordered food and a cake, no idea until Saturday morning when the storm brought his confession.  It was so nice of Jan, Jo, and Janelle to come down Friday night so they could arrive before the weather.  Saturday was a great day of fun and laughter and reminiscing.  I was stunned that my sister Jan would fly here from Arizona just for the celebration.  Bless her heart.....and her hubby Lanny who in the midst of chemo reactions insisted she come.  Sunday everyone headed home early afternoon.  Jan flew back to Arizona and Lanny today,

      
Renee, Jan, and Kay


Life is filled with the unexpected ~ the good, the bad, and the ugly.  This "unexpected" was a fun Saturday with some of the people we love and care about.  It also was a day for me to give thanks for the wonderful man God brought into my life.  Thank you Joel for working so hard to make my birthday special.  





No comments: