Saturday, October 24, 2020


Good Saturday to you from chilly Iowa where we woke up to 18 degrees!  Already?!  Tomorrow we are expecting a bit of snow but nothing like what has been falling in Minnesota or even southern Iowa!  It is too soon, but alas Mother Nature has ideas of her own!  

Even with the chilly weather we have been walking some days at the park here in town.  It has been nice to get outside and breathe in some fresh crisp air.  When we walk at the park we need to watch where we are putting our feet because there are a lot of geese...and a lot of geese means a lot of droppings to avoid!  Still, it is worth it to enjoy the scenery.  I can't resist the analogy here.  Seems like right now the ads in Iowa are a lot like the geese droppings!  And I am always watching for them so I can change the channel or mute them!  Ha  ha........You know, we already voted, so shouldn't all the ads leave after that?

Speaking of getting outside, Joel decided to ride his bike on Wednesday since the winds were down somewhat but he came home soon after leaving as his bike had "thrown him" and he ended up walking home, injured along with an injured recumbent bike.  Something happened to the seat and it took down the bike. At least on a recumbent there is not far to fall.  He was "only" going 5-7 mph but ended up at the chiropractor yesterday with leg, hip and lower back pain.  The Dr. told him that the inflammation, pain, etc. usually show up 2 days after a fall in those who are older.  Of course who wants to hear that word, "older"?  Not my Joel! But he is resting a bit as his body needs that to heal.  It was a minor accident and for that we are very grateful!

Speaking of grateful, my sister Jo is doing amazingly well!  Starting taking steps this week with a walker and working hard with her PT.  They told her she could be home by Thanksgiving!!  She is determined to get out of there and home to her cozy apartment.  One step at a time.  Thanks for praying!  

This week I wrote a long post about preaching politics from the pulpit.  It is a pet peeve of mine to see or hear pastors in their position of power preach politics. In other words, telling their congregation members how to vote.   It is also very disturbing to read or hear all the rhetoric ~ hate verbally expressed ~ judgements and executions thrown out if you are a democrat or if you are a republican. It also bothers me that Christianity is now often presented as only one color.  Red.   No grace, no love, no place within that is open to hearing what someone else has to say, wherever you come down on the political scale.   There is a song I heard recently entitled, "I Speak Jesus" and that is what I believe we are to do.  Jesus never spoke hate.  Ever.  I won't go on because now I am starting to put out my own opinions.....I will say that my faith guides my political leaning and for me it needs to, but I refuse to think I have all the answers and can judge others by how they vote............red or blue........purple or green.............


This week I had a runny nose and a cough started.  It got my attention.  Covid is high around Iowa and I go to the Rehab center and doctors way too often.  Careful always, but it is out there and I keep being told by doctors to be careful.  Anyway, it was gone in a couple of days, but it used to be when you had a runny nose, it was just that....a runny nose.  A cough was just a cough.  Our world has changed and I, for one, think it will be a long time before I think of a cough as just a cough again.  A mask is a great protector just like a seat belt is, but we also must remember that our True Shield is Jesus.  We do what we can and we turn to Jesus for His protection and guidance in all circumstances in life.  

I have been watching a documentary called "The Social Dilemma" that our son-in-law recommended.  Very interesting.  Of course, any info presented is always in need of sifting, but it is quite powerful on how social media subtly influences us.  I am on Facebook more than I want to admit.  I am very careful what I read, and belong to pages that are inspirational or connected to friends and family.  I don't read what I consider political rhetoric, etc. nor do I follow news feeds, but I can't help but scroll past much of that info with the titles in bold print getting my attention.  This documentary has me asking myself how much time I need to put into Facebook, and why.  ( I understand the irony as I put my blog posts on here for others to read!!)  It is thought provoking, for sure.

This week Joel has been raking and mulching, one bike ride cut short, grocery shopping, and going through the long process of getting his book self published. He was able to meet with his colleague group, social distancing with masks at a local church.  I have seen doctors and the OT, did a lot of cooking and some cleaning, walked 30 minutes a day, and started a new puzzle with such small pieces my eyes are rebelling!  TV has consisted of a fun series called "New Tricks" on Prime, and Building Designs , The Great British Baking Show, and Repair Shop on Netflix.  What are you watching?

So this week I am grateful for walks outside in the crisp fall air, geese (but not their droppings), improvements in OT, a "normal" chest wall exam,  British Baking Shows, the mute button on the TV, a warm cozy home, Joel's bike accident not being serious, Dr. Hirota's help for him, the power of prayer, the power of sunshine, the power held in the name of Jesus,  documentaries that make us think, shows that make us laugh, friends and family.  

This week as politics ramp up, Covid, ramps up, and winter ramps up, lets stand firm in the Presence of the One who has this!  Recently Joel was disturbed by all that was going on in our lives and in the country and had a "good talk" with God.  He quietly heard, "I've got this under control, Joel".  Joel continued to vent to God and he heard, "I have this FIRMLY under control".  We are hanging on to that each day......it may not always look like it, but we are not alone.  

Enjoy your weekend, people.  This is the day that the Lord has made............... 

No comments: