Saturday, October 10, 2020

Saturday's Scribbles



Good Saturday to you from our corner the of the Midwest where I am blessed to say, "My favorite color is October".  The weather has been perfect with sunshine, low humidity, and temperatures mostly in the 50's and 60's with one 85 thrown in for good measure.  Our yard was full of birds yesterday, robins, nuthatches, and one red headed woodpecker, all who were enjoying the latest hatch of no-see-ums.  The only negative to invade the outdoors in Autumn.  

Speaking of outdoors, on Friday Joel and I went for a drive to look at local trees changing color, and then headed to our large city park where we walked on the paths and enjoyed the great array of colors.  Here are a few pictures I took along the way.

park creek

pink prairie grasses

unique tree in the park


This past week we drove to Rochester MN for a final check up at the breast clinic there.  All my oncology aftercare at this point will be here in our little city.  If my health status changes we will head back to Mayo.  It was a bit hard to say good-bye to the excellent care I had there.  I felt sad and yes, a bit a apprehensive leaving.  I realized that they made we feel "safe" there.  A good thing, but I must always remember to put my trust in God.  He walks before me, beside me, and behind me...always.  There is a Bible verse that I hold on to.  Psalm 4:8 "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone are my place of safety."  He alone.............

While in Rochester we went to a Trader Joe's to stock up for a few months on the staples we get there such as almond butter, organic unsweetened applesauce, and almonds.  We have our own little grocery store in the basement where we keep ample supplies of what we use the most.......including toilet paper! Ha!!  2020

Speaking of 2020, I find there is a fine line between being cautious and being fearful regarding Covid-19.  Sometimes when we make decisions about the virus and it's impact on our lives, the two lines can blend into one.  Taking the politics out of this virus is necessary.  I watch people I know who regard or disregard the available science on this virus.  Those who live life as before, those who do some social distancing and others who follow the guidelines to a "T".  Each has their own reasons for the decisions they make.  

Our decisions have left us lonely.  With no family close by, with our friends far from where we live, we have each other.  Grateful beyond measure for our togetherness, but there are times we cannot help but think...........what if we had lived in one place instead of moving 23 times.  Would our kids be close by?  Would 50 years of roots make a difference in our relationships before and after Covid?  (Before or after Lyme?) Before or after anything ? The answer is a resounding yes!  Sometimes in the wee hours of the morning I find myself in another kind of mourning.....mourning the losses, the never will happen do overs.  Sometimes I go through that valley, but it is important not to live there.  And we cannot live in the valley of Covid forever either.  This too shall pass.

We picked up a couple of pumpkins at Trader Joe's this week.  They are sitting on our porch to enjoy.  Our porch sitting has been limited due to those nasty little no-see-ums that are so hard to see but pack a powerful punch.  Looking forward to the first bug killing frost! Joel stained our back deck and it looks great.  He has ridden his bike and managed a few other projects.  I have finished another puzzle, am now walking 30-35 minutes a day, and have enjoyed talking with Gr. Jo on the phone a few minutes at a time.  She is doing well, making progress and is getting stronger and stronger.  Yay!!! 

So as I enjoy the crisp fall weather I share my gratitude with each of you for those we love, for pumpkins, stocked shelves, a walk in the park, morning and mourning, good health care, a Healing Physician, Jesus, my favorite color....October, the power of prayer, our newly stained deck, and our togetherness.  

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: