Saturday, May 13, 2023

Saturday's Scribbles



Good Saturday to you from rainy Iowa where the ground is getting a lot of nourishment.  The yards are green and lush, the trees bringing forth a variety of leaves and blossoms.  The animals are busy scurrying around as they jump into Spring "tasks".  Thursday Joel watched a squirrel chase a hen out of the yard he was in because he felt threatened she would get his stash of corn kernels!  The ducks are nesting and the squirrels stuffing themselves and storing it too.  We have put some wire cages around our front garden plants in the hope of the deer not getting to them.  We have deep yellow velvet pansies up front, too, and Joel brings the pot up on the porch every night.  They are a delicacy for deer and rabbits!  It is so fun to see all the vibrant colors filling our porch view.  

Speaking of plants, I went with Joel plant shopping on Wednesday and it was nice to get out again..  We found a couple of hanging baskets to bring home and will slowly add more.  Friday we headed to Mayo for a CT scan.  Long story I will try to shorten.......... On May 1st I had sent an email to my opthamology team defining the levels of pain, etc.  Unbeknown to me the surgeon replied to her staff on Wed. the 3rd requesting a CT scan in case there was a sinus infection.  I did NOT get a call from them until May 9th to set one up!   NOT okay.  This week the pain has been a lot less and my energy  has been a lot more. (thank you Jesus) but Joel felt I should follow through on the order and I agreed, so we went Friday, driving nearly 2 hours for a 5 minute test!  We spent more time at Trader Joe's and eating in our car at a park then at the clinic.  We drove back home in time for a nap and to watch our oldest granddaughter graduate (live stream) from Drake school of pharmacy.  So proud of her hard work!  And the CT?  It was clear.  Joel headed back to the eye clinic on Tuesday and everything looks good.  Dr. would not rule out that he had a second TIA because of the extreme fatigue he had with and after, so his primary is getting a report.  Bottom line though is that he feels good!  No after effects now.  He went biking with some church members Wednesday night, one of a few rides lately.

One of our outings was to a local Dollar Tree and as we were checking out the clerk said hi to Joel and asked, "Oh, and did you find the ____________  you were looking for?  Immediately knew that he was looking for this item for Mother's Day....poor guy.  He has the hardest time surprising me but I love that he continues to try!  He also bought me the pansies for Mother's Day. A beautiful surprise.   I love pansies, which goes back to my immediate family and their love of pansies too.  I just love this time of year!

Joel is preaching tomorrow at two churches, and I will be watching from home.  Just not ready to get out into the world yet.  We'll have a special meal and enjoy the day I am sure.  I hope all of you mothers have a blessed day filled with love and joy. I am remembering those who mothered me...my mom Ann, Jo, my oldest sister who helped raise me, Janey, my older sister who nurtured  and took care of me too.  My mother-in-law Isabelle deserves to be mentioned too.  

This week has been a "broken" week.  The garage attic ladder broke when Joel pulled it down so he spent a bit of time fixing that..  Then Thursday night we had a full load of clothes in the dryer when it started making weird noises......the dryer broke.  Oh, boy.  Joel took all the clothes, bless his heart, and hung them everywhere downstairs to air dry.  We BOTH are missing the comfort and ease of a dryer.  Today he is trying to figure out if it is a belt or a motor problem.  Things usually happen in sets of threes so we are on guard for what is coming.  I did as Joel would it count if I said my brain feels broken?   (cognitive issues resurfaced over a week ago)  Haha

Wrapping up this scribbles, I am so grateful for our family, for the moms in our family and the blessings they have been to their children.  Grateful for continued healing,  a "clear" CT, and good report for Joel.  Grateful for beautiful flowers to view when we are porch sitting, and for being able to porch sit!  Best money we ever spent on this house was to add a porch~!  Grateful for making homemade bread, enjoying the first grilled pork chops of the season, and eating out lunvh at Soldier's Field Park in Rochester....been there a few times.  Grateful for Trader Joe's!  Grateful for Mayo Clinic Connect, a place to go online and connect with others on aromatase inhibitors.  Grateful for the major support of family and friends, but especially my husband.  Grateful for sleeping well again at night, for laughter and tears,  texts, emails, being able to watch grands in their sports and graduations.....So grateful for the mothers who influenced by life, and grateful for so very much more!

Enjoy your weekend~

  


No comments: