Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Looking Back in Order To Move Forward

"We need to look back in order to move forward".....
I read these words today in a devotional I received and realized that this is what we do at the end of every year as we set "resolutions" for the new year upon us. We look back and see what we did and did not accomplish..what we still want to do better....what changes we want to make...what goals we want to achieve. This is not a bad thing ~ setting goals and working to achieve our dreams give us incentive. But what gives us peace and hope for all the tomorrows ahead in 2009?
Maybe, when we look back over 2008, we need to be able to see the many blessings that God has bestowed on us. The way things have worked together for good, the prayers that have been answered in His wisdom. Seeing how God has worked in our lives over the past year, gives us the hope and strength to be able to walk forward in 2009.
I keep a gratitude journal. One ritual I have is to look back over the year that has past at what I have been grateful for. It is a testimony of how God has blessed my life and the lives of those I love and care about.
Being able to see the blessings that God has showered us with may be more important than ever in 2009. Our country is still at war, the economy is the worse in too many years to count, and life seems to get harder and harder for many people.
And yet, we can look back and see what God has done. Next year we will be able to do the same. No matter what is ahead, we are not alone, for God walks with us and He holds our lives in His hands.

2 comments:

Jan Lyn said...

Hello Renee,
Thanks for your words of wisdom here. I keep a gratitude journal as well. I let it slip a bit prior and during the holidays but picked it up this month again. It is helpful, even to note the smallest blessings God sends our way. I too, find it good to recall God's provision and faithfulness in the past and it helps me press on.

Renee said...

It is a good way to recall God's goodness, isn't it.!

Renee