Monday, February 22, 2010

Memorial Box Mondays


Today I wanted to share the story of how God brought my husband and I together. When I get my memorial box set up, I will put a small ceramic cowboy boot inside to remind me of the most wonderful blessing I have ever received from God....Have I tweaked your interest?

When I was 18 I went to Bible college about 2 hours from my hometown. During one of the weekends for families to visit, my older sister, who helped raise me, came to see me along with her good friend. They both worked at our home church together. They had taken a tour of the small campus and then met me at the commons building. We were standing on the second floor overlooking the commons area below and visiting about their tour.

My sister said to me, "Renee, we met the man you are going to marry!" "What?" I asked. My sister said again, "We met the man you are going to marry. He is such a nice young man. He wants to be a missionary and we can just see the two of you living in Africa and working in the mission field." I was more than a bit stunned and did not know what to say, except to ask, "Who is he?" Just then he walked in the door below...and my sister's friend said, "Oh there he is!" I looked down and saw Joel. Now, my first impression of Joel had not been positive......and my reply was, "He is loud and obnoxious and he wears BOOTS!" (I was a city girl and he was a country boy) They both just smiled and said, "We will PRAY about it".

Six months later we started dating.....one year after that we were married. We have been married for nearly 42 years and Joel STILL wears cowboy boots! No matter where we have lived ~ in the west, midwest, or across the ocean~ whether he is at home, in the pulpit, or performing a wedding ceremony ~ his boots are always on his feet. I have come to love them along with his western hat, jeans, and denim shirts.

We like to say we were prayed together, and those who are prayed together stay together! God had a plan for good for us.....and our vows began that journey of goodness together. Because of that...and Joel...cowboy boots will always hold a special place in my heart.

4 comments:

Djfshop said...

Oh, a wonderful story! God blesses us even when we don't think we want that person. Thank you for sharing this!

Renee said...

You are welcome...It is a story close to my heart..

Leah Wentzel said...

that is awesome :)

Renee said...

Thanks for coming by Leah!