Monday, April 12, 2010

Memorial Box Monday: Invisible Hands

Memorial Box Mondays was created by Linny over at A Place Called Simplicity. www.aplacecalledsimplicity.blogspot.com. Stop over and read what it is all about and link up to share your own stories, or read what others have written about God's faithfulness and goodness in their lives.

Today I am sharing a story that came to mind last night.

In 1973 Joel and I and our two young children were living in Duluth Minnesota where Joel was forecasting weather for the Air Force. At that time as a young adult, I was struggling in many areas of my life, including my faith. I just did not "feel" God near and my prayers seemed to go unanswered amidst the turmoils swirling around inside of me. I did not "feel" my faith was enough.

On Sunday mornings we attended our Lutheran church where Joel sometimes was a guest speaker, and on Sunday nights we went with friends to a Pentecostal church. One Sunday night I felt led to go to the altar for prayer. Members of the congregation were praying with people in need, and as I knelt at the altar I folded my hands and closed my eyes. Soon I felt someone take my hands, unfold them, and lift them up in praise. As this was happening, I remember smiling and opening my eyes to see whose hands were holding mine. I was stunned to realize I was all alone. There was no one near me. The warm hands still holding my hands were invisible to my naked eye, but yet I felt their touch.

Was it God himself? Jesus? Maybe the Holy Spirit? Could it have been an angel? I do not know for sure. What I do know is that God blessed me with an invisible touch that changed my life.

This experience grounded my faith at a time of great need. I knew that God was with me, that He loved me, and that my faith was real. I could rely on God and the assurance I had in Jesus as my Savior, no matter what I was feeling inside. I have never experienced anything like that since, although many other experiences have blessed me over the years. For that one night ~at an altar, I will be forever thankful.

I think I will need to add a pair of praying hands to my Memorial Box as a reminder of God's love and affection for one of His struggling children.

8 comments:

Mom Of Many said...

Oh Renee I love stories like this....He is just so faithful!! It made me think that during this difficult season of your life God has hold of your hands....firmly clasped in His loving grip.

During our family prayer time Liberty, once again, prayed for you and your healing...and we continue to pray...xo

Andrea said...

Blessings and prayers,
andrea

Goodness and Mercy Mom said...

Oh Renee, what an amazing story and what a Mighty God! May His invisible hands continue to guide you, protect you, heal you, and carry you through this time.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you for sharing this story.

God bless.

Kat said...

My heart just fills with love for our Savior when I hear stories like this. I think so many don't realize that He acts so clearly...wow.

Renee said...

Thanks for coming by Linny...Your prayers are greatly appreciated...tell sweet Liberty thank you!

Renee said...

Thank you Andrea!!

Renee said...

Thank you Goodness and Mercy mom....