Thursday, November 1, 2012

Yoking Up: Staying In Intimacy

Then Jesus said,
'Come unto me all of you who are weary
and carrying heavy burdens,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you. 
Let me teach you
because I am humble and gentle at heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.'" (NLT)
"My yoke is easy
and my burden is light.'" ( NIV)
Matthew 11:28-30

Tuesday morning I was watching Todd White speak online about our relationship with God.  Todd White is an unorthodox "street minister" who has the gift of healing and in obedience to God he uses this special anointing to heal others and introduce them to Christ.   As I listened to him speak, I became aware of God's presence in his words.  He was talking about those who desire healing so much that that is all they focus on.  Seeking healing becomes not only their main goal, but also their identity.  Even though Jesus healed all who came to Him, what He truly wants is a close relationship with us.  He wants us to "stay in intimacy" with Him. 

The first thing that popped into my head were the verses from Matthew 11.  Twenty encounters later, these verses are still speaking to me and today they settled in my heart with a new awareness.  "Come to Me....."  Yes, Lord.  "I will give you rest....."  Yes, Lord.



Just stay close to me Jesus is saying.  Stay in intimacy with me, and You will find peace and security as "My yoke is easy and My burden is light."  You will be loved with My perfect love. THIS is what God wants for us.  He delights in us.  He rejoices over us as Zephaniah 3:17 tells us.  God wants to have a close relationship with His children and He desires us to want the same.  As God's children our identity comes from the cross. 

Staying in intimacy with someone or the Someone requires trusting them.  God often reminds us in scripture to trust in Him beyond our understanding.  Staying in intimacy means we not only share our own thoughts, feelings, dreams, etc. but we listen.  Intimacy with another or the Another requires communion and communication. 

God does not seem to be done with teaching me all I need to learn from Matthew 11.  It is astonishing how much is held within just a few words from Jesus.   I am blown away by all that I have been shown so far in these few verses.  Intimacy, security, peace, trust, releasing burdens, perfect love, and casting out fear.  I am so blessed to be loved by my Heavenly Father.  I am so grateful.  Yes, so grateful while entering into rest with Jesus.

FOR HIS WORD IS TRUTH
 


No comments: