Saturday, December 19, 2015

Saturday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you all from our corner of Iowa where snow is absent but not the cold!  The  low last night was 8 degrees.....I have been enjoying my "Woolie" comforter and wool socks the past couple of days.  The temperatures are going up again soon, so it will end up being an unseasonsably warm Christmas.  We'll take it!

Even with the warm weather, I have not been out walking.  The radiation treatments kind of took their toll the final two weeks.  Radiation won a few of the last rounds, but I will be back on my feet soon.  I finished a day early on this past Wednesday, and have been spending a lot of time resting, sleeping, and doing what I can to heal my skin and restore my immune system.

Burns are bad, thank God for the burn cream with lidocaine and steroids.  The doctor told me he did not think there would be any scarring in the 45-50 square inches of second degree burns I have. Anyone who knows me knows I hate taking or using medications, so for me to be thankful, means the pain is nasty.  BUT the skin looks better where the "boost" of radiation did not go the past two weeks so we know that in another month I will be walking my miles, wearing a bra, and seeing all new skin.  For now we watch the skin fall off and give thanks for the burn cream, the privilege to rest all I need, and for the healing power of our bodies through God.   Just like a lot of people, we both have been fighting a sinus/chest/cough type thing, too, but we are getting over that.

Several of the family come Christmas Eve, another family Christmas Day, and then one more for the 26th.  Joel is doing quite a bit of the work to prepare although I did get the cards out (120), and have helped some with cooking, cleaning, shopping.  MOST importantly, we will be together.  The rest is just "gravy".  I can hardly wait to hug on everyone!!!

I have been reading light and hope-filled stories and watching a lot of the Hallmark channel and their Christmas movies.  NCIS has been on the USA channel a lot this week, too.....just what I needed.  I have watched only a couple of teachings and listened to some of our favorite Christmas music.  Like our old Alabama Christmas cd.......and Kenny G..........and Pinterest too.

Using the keyboard makes me pretty uncomfortable, so this will be short.  As we all prepare for another celebration of Christmas, I cannot help but give thanks for each sunrise and sunset.  Hope and pray your preparations are going well and that joy and peace reign during this busy week.

Until next time...................

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the Hallmark Christmas movies! Have you watched any on the UP channel? These are usually very good and spiritual. Take care and God bless.

Gayle said...

Oh, I am glad you are just resting, watching good shows and not doing much. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Anita Johnson said...

You are in my prayers, Renee. Sounds very similar to my place right now. 3 weeks of debilitating vertigo with my other challenges still noticeable. But there have been many blessings...downtime, time to study, understanding kids and a ever changing view of what's needed, or not, at Christmas. We have wonderful husbands... Prayers for continued healing for you.

Sharon said...

Renee, so good to hear that the radiation treatments are over, and that your healing has begun. Yes, sometimes medicine is a very good thing! I was thankful for Advil the past few days as I recovered from an unexpected root canal!

So glad that you'll be with family for the holidays! Nothing better...

My very best wishes to you and yours for a Merry CHRISTmas, and as always, GOD BLESS!

Breathing In Grace said...

Prayers for you to have a very Merry CHRISTmas, sweet Lady. HOPE you have a great time with your family.