Sunday, June 17, 2018

A Father Heart

Matt, Joel and Mark

Today is Father's Day and there is not one of us breathing air that does not have a father in their lives, present or past.  Many are fortunate enough to have a father that brings a smile to their face and warm memories to their heart.  Included in that list would be my favorite columnist, Sharon Randall.  Today she wrote about "the fathers I have loved."  which certainly got me thinking about the fathers I have loved too.

On Friday Joel and I were discussing this day.  Joel's dad died when he was 16 and my father when I was 6.  For Joel, he has many memories to rely on that define who his father was.  For me, I think about when Joel and I married and his mom told me that his dad had always desired for Joel to be a pastor.  He prayed about it and even kept him from doing more of the farm work, in the hope he would see his prayers answered.  Joel's mom requested that I not tell Joel this until he made his own decision.  I kept that promise and even though I never met his dad, I loved him for his father heart.

My memories of my dad come from other people, as my own are tucked away in my subconscious somewhere.  According to my sisters, my dad was a fun, loving man who doted on his "girls".   We know he had "gypsy blood" and was always on the move.  My sister Jan went to 14 schools.  I had moved 9 times and lived in 5 states by the time I was 7.  My memories of those years are definitely foggy, but when I was 11 I had the privilege of having my brother-in-law Dick "father" me.  He was a steady man who cared deeply about his family and blessed me with a father's love once again.

There are many in our world who do not have good memories when they think about their dads, but hopefully that changes when they think about other men in their lives who have nurtured them.   We also look up to our heavenly Father who loves us beyond our comprehension.  His Perfect Love is waiting for us all.

My hubby, struggles with Father's Day.  He has a deep love for his children and is so grateful for the fine adults they have become.......but........  Even so, he sees his flaws as a parent and wishes he could have a few do-overs.  Don't we all.   Having a father and being a father is never perfect for sure.

Yet, this day, we honor fathers.  I am so proud of Joel and his father heart.  I am so proud of our sons Matt and Mark and the fathers they are.  We feel so thankful for our two son-in-laws and the fine men and fathers they are.  Parenthood is not for the faint of heart, but it does come from the heart.  It is a gift, fatherhood.  Treasure it, embrace, it, and keep opening your hearts to it, and always remembering to look up and give thanks to Papa God who fathers us all.


No comments: