Wednesday, July 22, 2020

"Surfing Uncertainty"



I was reading an article about Alan Alda in the AARP magazine yesterday and his response to the journalist's question got me thinking.  He was asked if he was optimistic about the future for his kids and grandkids and he responded that with the world changing so rapidly, he did not think there was any point to being optimistic or pessimistic....people just needed to "surf uncertainty because that is all we get".

I understood what he was saying..........there is a whole lot of uncertainty going on around us right now.  In our world, our country, our states, our communities, and I would expect within ourselves and each personal journey.  We are riding the waves of uncertainty about tomorrow.....But unlike Alda, a man who is a proclaimed agnostic, I know there is more to the equation.

When I visualized myself surfing the waves of uncertainty, I saw myself "attached" to the board with that ankle leash that keeps the board and rider connected.  That is how I see life I guess.  Uncertainty may fill our world to overflowing right now, but we are not alone.  There is a Certainty, the One, our Lord Jesus and   HE is our certainty in an uncertain world.  No matter what is going on around us, and plenty is, He is there.  His promises keep us steady while on this ride.

I am continually amazed at how divided our country has become.  Social media has made that so easy.  We can't agree on anything, it seems, but maybe one thing still can hold us together.  Maybe one thing, not really a thing but the One who can unite us.  Jesus.

The pain and suffering is palpable in our country right now.  So much loss.....jobs, finances, health, socializing, life as we knew it, and even life itself.  Man oh man it is challenging.  But God.............

No matter where we find ourselves today.  No matter what waves we are riding , we must remember to get on that surfboard of life eternal and keep our eyes on the shoreline.  Stay connected.  Stay focused.  Stay believing on what we know for sure, what IS certain in the uncertainty.


No comments: