Sunday, July 25, 2010

Double What?

Do you remember the little TV ditty, "Double your pleasure...double your fun....With Doublemint, Doublemint, Doublemint gum!" And of course there are other times the word double comes to mind...like for "double up" when bunking two people together....or "double meaning" when a statement has more than one meaning~ often with one being hidden. When our dog goes outside we tell him to go "double duty"...no explanation necessary for that one! I have heard it said when someone is getting an ice cream cone...or even a drink..."Make mine a double." There is also that age old saying to describe someone as "double trouble."

There are plenty of times the word double comes to mind, but lately it has been coming up regarding the "double portions" you read about in the Bible. I will tell right from the start that I have trouble with this concept. And yet it is Biblical. I think what makes me uncomfortable is the prosperity Gospel that is so popular right now. God is going to give you~~favor..prosperity..abundance....promotions.... and more~ IF you are obedient to God. That seems to put a lot of pressure on us, God's children. It also does not give me a clear picture of a loving and fair God. I have much to learn concerning this topic...much to learn. And if this past week tells me anything, God has plenty He wants to teach me.

This past week the idea of double portions has surfaced in our devotional book, scriptures, an email, and on TV. As I have said before, when I am bombarded from several sources on a certain topic, or verse, etc. I pay attention. These 3 scripture verses came to my attention this week.
~~
Zechariah 9:12 "Return to the stronghold, O prisoners who have hope. This very day I am declaring that I will restore double to you."
~~
Isaiah 61: 7 "Instead of shame, you will receive a double portion and instead of disgrace they will rejoice in their inheritance, and will inherit a double portion in their land, and everlasting joy will be theirs."
~~
Job 42:10 "The Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before."
~~
A couple of sermons and devotionals have opened my eyes to the blessings God has for us, and it brought to mind a story I read once. A man went to heaven and St. Peter showed him a room filled with beautifully wrapped gifts. When the man asked Peter who all the gifts were for, St. Peter said, "Well, they were for you when you were on earth, but you never opened any of them!"
~~
Double portions: Hmmmm I have so much to learn and so little time! I am excited to see where God leads on this topic.
~~
I am linking this up with Ginger and Charlotte at Spiritual Sundays. www.bloggerspirit.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Renee, I really enjoyed your topic for Spiritual Sunday. I had never stopped and focused on the word "double" in the scriptures before. How encouraging! God has so much in store for us!

Charlotte said...

Interesting comments on an interesting topic. God has more than doubled my blessings in this life.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Jan Lyn said...

I knew there was a reason that I stopped by here today. This is honest encouraging at the same. You've filled it with just the perfect verses I needed to hear along with my devotions today.

Yes, that was a double good morning from the Lord!