Monday, April 30, 2018

Keep Rocking The Boat

Sunday we were to attend a celebration but it was cancelled,  so we headed to church at a local congregation.  We sometimes go with friends to their church ....other times we go to a large Lutheran church downtown, which is where we found ourselves yesterday.

After services a man we have known for over 20 years came over to me and expressed how good it was to see us there.  He then said, "Say, didn't you go to _______ Church for awhile?"  Even though this was not the first time he had brought this up to us, I replied, "Yes we did!  For over a year."  He asked, "So you go to this service on Sundays now?"  I replied, "Joel is still filling in most Sundays, but when he is not filling in somewhere. we go to _________church with our friends, or attend a Lutheran church like this one.  We like variety.  "  This man's reply was "OH!" _______ church?  "Well, it is really good to see you here."   He had a smile on his face, but a question or two left in his eyes.

The sermon we had just listened to talked about stepping out of our comfort zone and about being open to new things God wants to show us.  In hindsight I would have brought that into the conversation.  As it was, I had "rocked the boat" a bit I expect.

Not too long ago Joel and I listened to people speak about places of worship.  The tone was quite clear......"them vs us".  We found ourselves once again defending mainline churches.  It has been the reason we have with sadness walked away from more than one place of worship or a group.

Jesus is to be the center of our places of worship.  The rest is interpretation, doctrine, and individual needs.   In the past five years we have found that no matter what church we are worshiping in,  we seem to rock the boat when it comes to being Lutherans who believe and walk in the prophetic, speaking in tongues, and God-wants-you-well healing.  It is not often a comfortable position to be in.

The term "rock the boat" did not come from us but from God.  When we were at Bethel church in Redding CA  we went to a personal prophetic session, where we were asked a question by one of the leaders that made us laugh.  He said to us, "Do you two rock the boat?"  It is so strange but God is showing me a picture of you both in a boat, rocking it!"  We expressed our thoughts on this, responding that we do rock the boat in the fact that we are Lutherans who believe and walk in God-wants-you-well healing, speaking in tongues, and seeing the prophetic come to light.  The man said, "Well, God told me you are to keep rocking the boat.  Don't stop rocking the boat.  Keep rocking the boat with love.  When you do stop rocking the boat, that will be when He calls you Home."  So.......we all three said together.....Keep rocking the boat!  (not really ready to go home to Heaven.)

As I told Joel about this conversation with the man we know while on our way home Sunday, he said, "I think you were rocking his boat, Missy."

I pondered this, as I really do get weary of explaining our way of worship, or defending mainline denominations like the Lutheran church for their form of worship or doctrine.  It is frustrating.  I keep thinking there is unity in diversity and it should start in the pew first!  In my search for a church home  for us I found a congregation in Huntington Beach CA that an ELCA pastor started.  He defines himself as a Norwegian Lutheran pastor with incurable Pentecostal tendencies.  That would be a long Sunday morning commute......but it is nice to know that there are others like us out in the world.

Today I realized it probably won't end until God calls us Home.  It seems we are boat rockers.  Evidently God has placed us in this position.....whether sharing healing stories, defending "others" in the them vs us way of thinking, or answering the questions of those who just don't get us.   I cannot say I like it, but I do receive it.  We will keep rocking the boat with love, Lord, as you direct us, until you call us Home.


1 comment:

NanaNor's said...

Dear Renee, I so understand this post-on so many levels. I attended several Baptist churches for years after beings saved, but also have spiritual ties to Spirit filled churches and worship. In fact, at my church(not a member but attend weekly) I am the one in the back with eyes closed and hands raised high in worship, also swaying. The worship team has told me how they appreciate it, but all praise is to my Lord. So dear one, keep on being yourself and rocking the boat. My hubby isn't an emotional person and the few times he's gone to church with me, he once said he didn't like it and wouldn't go back. I believe that when he comes face to face with our Savior he will be lifting his hands to.
Hugs and prayers.
Noreen