Monday, September 17, 2018

A New Thing In Old Wrappings

A scripture given to us at Bethel Church


Joel has accepted a call to be a part time interim at two churches south of Mason City.  He began this past Saturday, preaching yesterday at St. Peter and St. Paul Lutheran churches in two small towns about twenty minutes apart. We left the house before eight and arrived home half past twelve.  It felt familiar, the routine of Joel up front and me in a pew.  As I said before, it was not on our radar.........or our bucket list, but it was on God's.  The journey to this decision was orchestrated by God.  It is a story to be shared.  

A few weeks ago a friend told me God had spoken a word to her for me.  "Tell Renee; to get ready.  I am going to be speaking to her."  I began praying, telling God I was ready and if I was not, then make me ready.  It was only a few days later that God showed up in my dreams.......

But first let me back up a bit.  A few weeks ago Joel told me that a pastor we knew had retired early to help out her brother, so at the time I wondered aloud if they had gotten an Interim yet.  He felt the people would be hiring a lay person who was helping out at the church already.  Then we ran into someone from that church In Rockwell IA where Joel was once an Interim.  After visiting with her  I remember thinking "They are going to want Joel for their Interim" since he had worked there before and they enjoyed him so much.   This did not really bring up any feelings for me since Joel was not interested in doing any Interim work.  He liked the "fill-in" Sunday work, leaving most of the week free for other pursuits.  But God......

A few weeks later Joel and I had just finished listening to the prophetic session we had experienced while at Bethel Church and were discussing the words spoken to us about doing a "new thing" , a new ministry, when the phone rang.  When Joel answered it an Asst. to the Bishop of our synod was on the other end asking if Joel was interested in being an Interim for the Lutheran churches in Rockwell and Thornton.  Joel looked at me and I said, "Say yes", then wished I could take back those words.  This would not be a new thing but more of the "old" ministry and that is exactly what I expressed to Joel as we discussed the possibility.  
During this time period is when our friend, who knew nothing about our current situation,  told me to "get ready".  Now...............the dream............

About 4 in the morning I woke up from a dream I had.  In the dream I was looking at what I thought was our SUV.  I heard God say, "I am giving you a new car."  I immediately began arguing with God...."We don't need a new car.  We like our car".  Joel was there and chimed in....."We like our car, we don't need a new car."  God said a second time, firmly..."I am giving you a new car!"  Then I woke up.

The next morning I told Joel about the dream and felt we were to meditate on it.  As soon as I closed my eyes Jesus was there taking my hand and saying, "Come with me."  I asked Him where we were going and He said, "For a ride."  Then he got into the driver's seat of what I believed was our SUV.  I got in the seat behind Jesus and Joel got in up front on the passenger's side.  I said, "Is this a new car?  Jesus said, "Yes."  I said, "It looks like our old car, but it is a new car?"  Jesus said yes and then threw his head back and laughed and laughed.  He then turned to me and said, "Let me drive."   I immediately found myself outside the car with Jesus.  I said, "Ummmm, thank you?"  And Jesus said, "Yes!  That is what I wanted to hear!"

This visual encounter and dream made things pretty clear to Joel and me.  So, out of obedience Joel interviewed with the churches and accepted a call to work part time as they transition and search for a new pastor.  This Interim position looked to me like something "old", not a new ministry.......but God was telling us something different.

A week ago we drove to Rochester MN, about 1 hour and 40 minutes from us, to attend Destiny Church, which is somewhat based on Bethel church in CA.   After church you could meet with someone who may have a prophetic word for you.  Three women met with Joel and me and once again God came through about us doing a new thing.......wrapped up in an "old package".  


It often amazes me how much God wants to speak to us and uses others to do so. I love hearing stories about how God has made His voice heard for His purposes.   For us there was no way to avoid what God was saying through our friend, the dream, the visual encounter and the prophetic words at Destiny church.  His message was clear.  We are grateful for how clearly God spoke to us about this position, grateful for the opportunity to serve others, grateful for God's guidance. We don't fully understand it, but God does.  Sometimes a "new thing" comes in old wrappings and we look forward to how God will unwrap this opportunity before us.  

No comments: