Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Corn Trees?

The sun is coming in our living room window at a different angle now and it is setting close to eight o'clock.  A shift is taking place as nature prepares for harvest and winter beyond.  The air lately has been dry and crisp and 70 degrees in September does not feel the same as 70 degrees in July.  Autumn is coming.

I love Autumn.  The colors, smells, sounds all bring a smile to my face.  Our resident squirrels are storing food, geese are gathering in our empty but soon-to-be-filled with new houses field, and even the deer have started to switch from nibbling on flowers to chewing on bushes.  Where we live it is not uncommon to look out and see deer grazing in yards.  Especially our neighbor's across the street.  He likes to feed them corn.  The deer love it and so do the squirrels.  We have found more than one cob in your yard.  And recently we discovered corn growing in our tree!




We looked up in our tree and about 6 feet off the ground a corn plant was growing right in the middle!  I expect a squirrel dropped a kernel of corn in a crevice of the tree and then it rained and now we are growing corn!  We also have corn growing in the yard, but just mow it down every time Joel gets out the lawn mower. 

I'm not so sure the resident squirrels intentionally planted corn in our tree...the yard maybe, but not the tree.  And yet there is was.   Of course this had me thinking about "seeds" I have planted with my words or my actions.  Have I unintentionally grown things?  Things I maybe wish I hadn't? 

Fall is always my favorite time of year.  A time for a plentiful harvest of that which we have planted.  I pray that my words and actions some day bring in a full harvest of good things, too, in all I say and do. 

I wonder how big the corn plant will grow in our tree before winter comes?  Maybe we will have our own corn tree!


No comments: