Saturday, October 6, 2018

Saturday's Scribbles




Good Saturday morning from the Midwest where Fall is showing off its beauty.  The trees here are wearing the colors orange, gold, and rust, which is brightening up the sun-less skies.  It has been cloudy and rainy off and on all week and it appears it will continue another week.  Not good news for the farmers who are attempting to harvest their crops.

I just waved good-bye to my cowboy preacher as he heads north an hour to his favorite day of the year, actually another holiday for him ~ Rendezvous Days ~where he goes for 12 hours to step back in time to the days of trade, tents, Muzzleloaders, open fires and wood smoke.  He absolutely loves it and I am so thankful he can go.   We talked a bit this morning as I thought back about when he was so very sick with Lyme.  He would still go, but after driving an hour he would then have to nap when he arrived.  He would walk around a bit, find a place to sit, and then go back to the car and nap again.  And again.  It was no way to live, and we know so many people who suffer with that hideous disease.  Lord have mercy.

Looking back at Joel's health before his healing reminds me of my own journey and how much better I am.  Sometimes with the cancers and major eye problem I forget....I forget that I cam so much stronger, walking 30-45 minutes a day, doing housework, cooking, getting out and about and even learning to drive again.  Seriously a long way from being sofa bound or confined to the house.

Our granddaughter Abbi just turned 18 and celebrated Homecoming at the same time.  Eighteen seems so far away as I walk in my seventh decade of life, but I do remember it being an exciting time. It is amazing to watch, even from a distance,  as our grands do life.  Most of them are teens now, and busy as students, athletes, and musicians.  We are so grateful for the good people they are!

Even though we have lived here in Mason City for 22 years now, we have moved 23 times in 50 years, and have left friends behind in several places.  Having long distance friends seems to be "normal" for us, and this past week we Skyped with some friends who are just that.  It is always good to catch up and laugh together.  We talked to old friends on our Anniversary, too.  They called from South Carolina where they moved after George retired from the Air Force.  We met them while we were both stationed in the Philippines, and we have kept in touch since.  Helen and I became fast friends and "sisters in Christ" as she labeled us.  It was hard to say good-bye when we parted, and we have not seen them face to face since!  What a reunion we will have in Heaven.  Friends are precious, and not always coming in quantity.  Those we hold dear truly are sent to us by God and for them we are so grateful.

I hope my rambling has you looking at fall, at friends, and at family for the gifts they are.  Enjoy each and every moment with thanksgiving. 


No comments: