Saturday, July 27, 2019

Saturday's Scribbles

It is Saturday afternoon here in northern Iowa, another hot and humid July day.  The weather may not be the best for humans, but the flowers, gardens, and corn are happy and showing off their best.  I think the deer are happy too since they seem to enjoy munching on our plants.  My sister Jan's husband planted tomato plants at their home in South Dakota, and the deer have been feasting on green tomatoes.  Even wire fencing did not stop them....they just pushed it aside and enjoyed their tasty goodness. 

Speaking of tasty goodness, we have been eating a great deal of watermelon this summer.  So good to begin with, but even better on a hot day!  Here is a question for you.  SALT or NO SALT on your watermelon.  For me, salt.  We also have put salt on our fresh pineapple after our maid in the Philippines told us it makes the pineapple sweeter.  Joel enjoys having ears of corn this time of year also, but adds butter with the salt!  Our Farmer's Market does have a few vendors who bring fresh veggies.......so delish.  But not too many organic, which we prefer.  I found some organic peaches at our Super Target and they actually taste like a peach!  They are really good grilled as our friends Mary Lou and Keith taught us to do.  Just add a little honey or ice cream and you have a delicious treat!

This past week I had only one doctor appointment.  I have been calling Mayo daily during the week to see if any cancellations would move my appointment up from mid August.  So far, not, but they encourage you to call 1-2 times daily.  That is nice.  I cannot say my energy is back to before this started, but I am happy to be walking 20 minutes a day now!  Yippee......Joel has been riding 15-20 miles when he goes out.  Wish he could ride outside year round.  Winter in Iowa makes that hard!\

I watched a video by a life coach and Beni Johnson, wife of Pastor Bill Johnson and a pastor at Bethel Church in CA.  She went through breast cancer about 18 mo ago, having a mastectomy herself.  She works with a European doctor on healing her body on a cellular level to keep the body tip top to fight disease.  Makes sense to me.  I am taking some of her info, doing my own research, and looking for a plan to help my body and especially my immune system recover after treatments.  The treatments break down the body so it needs building back up to live well. 

Last night we watched the Iowa High School girls softball championship game on Iowa Public Television.  Our granddaughter Greta's  high school team played for the state championship and won in a very good game!  It was fun to be able to watch the game from our living room. 

I have been reading a mystery by David Rosenfelt, his Andy Carpenter series.  Carpenter solves murders as an attorney who is crazy about dogs.  The series is comical, smart, and light enough to not give me nightmares.  My kind of mystery.  So, what are you reading? 

No comments: