Saturday, October 12, 2019

Saturday's Scribbles


Good Saturday to  you from our corner of Iowa where we woke up to our first frost of the season.  We do not have snow, like Minnesota, South Dakota, and other states.  We do have the cold with wind chills but are avoiding the white stuff which is fine by us!  I am now enjoying my "Woolie", my wool comforter which keeps me nice and cozy throughout the cold seasons.  Like I have said many times, wool has some healing properties.  Joel has some arthritis in his hands/fingers and wears wool gloves which helps!  Love the wool!

Speaking of loving something..........did any of you see the video a mom took of her three year old son on his way to school.  When he was 2 she taught him an affirmation she hoped would stick in his mind.  It did.  On his first day of school he started to repeat the affirmation on his own.....

I am smart!
I am blessed!
I can do anything!

He is adorable and has a message for all of us!  I found myself adjusting the affirmation to...I am strong.  I am blessed!  And with God I can do anything!




Speaking of I can do anything, this journey with chemo is so unpredictable.  I like to say every day is different and sometimes every hour.  Like Tuesday I had trouble getting downstairs without feeling like I would pass out.  I rested awhile and by 11 am felt good enough to make a small batch of cookies!  I walked twice around the driveway that evening and crashed after.......unpredictable. Thursday I went to physical therapy, three stores for cards, and the library!  No problems.....and that was fun.

I was supposed to have chemo yesterday but it has been postponed for a week.  Last Monday I called the clinic and left a message for my doctor that I was having neuropathy in my feet and some in my fingers.  The doctor was gone once again and the nurse called me and said another doctor on call said I needed to see a palliative care team for pain control.  I was NOT looking for meds, I was looking to ask the doctor about this side effect as I know it can be permanent.  I was going to be contacted by the team....but nothing.....Finally on Wednesday I called again and said I wanted to talk to the doctor after finding out I was not even scheduled to see him before chemo on Friday.  At Joel's persistence I also called Mayo and left a message with my oncologist there.  The Doctor from our center here called me and decided to postpone chemo a week........and shortly after that the Mayo doctor called me....less than 2 hours after my call to him.  2 hours.  Not 2 days.  He felt waiting was okay but did not think my symptoms were telling him the neuropathy would be permanent so go ahead with the chemo .....only 2 treatments left.  So for now I am in limbo waiting for symptoms to go down and for next week.  I expect this is quite common but it was not part of the plan and I struggle with not pushing through it.  We have been praying about it of course, and twice in one day from different sources I heard words I had not heard before............WHEN YOU ARE GOING THROUGH HELL, JUST KEEP GOING!  Yep.  Just keep going!

Speaking of keep going........Yesterday we headed to the local grocery store to pick up some pumpkins for our deck and front porch.  After paying $5 for each one, no matter the size, I decided we would seek out a pumpkin patch next year!  There is just something about pumpkins that speak of fall and warm my heart!  Halloween is my least favorite day, but Thanksgiving is definitely a plus!  The colors, the smells, the food, the gatherings, the gratitude expressed.  It is the only holiday where our family celebrates on the actual day, and the only holiday where Joel does not have services on the day, so of course it is my favorite! 

Speaking of favorite.........last night we watched the first episode of the original Magnum P.I. series on Amazon Prime!  That show was a favorite in our house in the 80's.  It is amazing that I remember so much of that first episode!  Our minds really store a lot of information.......a reminder to fill it with GOOD things!

I have been reading again this week, picking up a Rita Mae Brown mystery at the library.  What are you reading? 

No comments: