Saturday, November 2, 2019

Sataurday's Scribbles

Good Saturday to you from northern Iowa where chilly temperatures and nighttime frost have joined us as we enter into November.  Halloween was cold, and we had about half the kids we used to see here in our neighborhood.  Others said the same thing........fewer kids....more leftover candy.  We had one young teen here on stilts who came right up our porch steps, trick or treating.  Joel always enjoys having the kids trick or treat, and I think he was a little disappointed to see fewer young kids coming to the door.  It was cute though, when one young boy came and as Joel opened the door with the candy bowl he said to Joel...."I like your costume!  You are a cowboy!"  Of course Joel was just dressed in his normal attire but this young guy thought he was dressed up for Halloween! I guess he dresses for Halloween every day!


The frost brought with it a heavy blanket of leaves.  Joel ended up raking, mulching, and bagging from after lunch until supper on Saturday.  And it needs to be done again!  Joel took the above picture from our living room sofa.....it is a beautiful view of our backyard and the neighbor's colorful tree.  We have certainly enjoyed it!

Joel headed to Mpls. on Monday to attend the funeral of an old friend we have known since we met at church in Salt Lake City in 1970.  When the Air Force moved us to Duluth, they ended up moving to a suburb of Mpls.  We kept moving.......and moving..........but we stayed in touch mostly by mail with a few visits thrown in.  Dick died at age 89, having lived a full life of faith and love for family and friends. We are blessed to call them friends over the years.

 I was able to vote early this week and make a brief stop at the library.  Both my PT sessions for the scar tissue were cancelled due to my therapist being sick with the crud.  She was at work but coughing away and on antibiotics so cancelled our appointments.  Good idea........It is less than a week until my final chemo treatment.  Some of the symptoms have been less intense this time around. I'll take it!


I decided to keep an ongoing gratitude list for November.  So much to be thankful for........This week I have been missing nature......being able to get out and walk, pet a dog, just smell fall.  I am grateful to have the views we have from our home..........but looking forward to some fresh air!  Joel took me for a drive down by the river and today or tomorrow I am planning on a short walk there.  So grateful for where we live, having the river so close, and  for Fall....my favorite season!

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: